Anyone have a child with oppositional defiant disorder?

What are the symptoms? My daughters teacher thinks she has ADD. Another person thinks its the oppositional defiant disorder... and another thinks it's anxiety. I however see more ADD and anxiety than the other.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Deliberately annoying others frequently, talking back and arguing with adults, fights in school, deliberately does not follow or breaks rules, lying in excess of what is normal for your age, stealing, damaging property, and some other disruptive features. They tend to be spiteful and vindictive. Hold grudges and get even. What makes it a disorder vs. not a mental health disorder is that it causes impairment in academic funtion, socially impairs a child (fights with peers, has few friends, or friends are all the "bad" kids), effects family financially (stealing or destroying property), and impacts family life where normal routines are not set due to all the wonderful surprises of the child's behavior. If it possable to have both ADHD and ODD. If it is anxiety you can usually see triggers then negative responses. With anxiety most likely others are not a deliberate target. There is a difference between being irritable and
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• being vindictive. Anxiety can pass but being spiteful and crafty stays long after a trigger.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My son was diagnosed with ODD, provisional ADHD and Provisional Depression when he was in kindergarten. It wasn't pretty. He would do things that was just off the wall.... like I'd pick him up from school - on the drive home (about 5 blocks) he would start crying, big time. When I would ask him what's wrong - he's say stuff like "You're not going to let me have a snack". When I'd ask why he would think that, he'd answer "Cuz I'm not gonna do my homework".
    Problem was he didn't exhibit the 'clinical' signs of ODD - so I refused to let them medicate him. I took a strong disciplinary hand with him instead. It was a long and arduous process - BUT by the time he was in 5th grade, he showed no signs of either ADHD or ODD.. Provision Depression never showed itself at all.... so where they got that diagnosis I have no clue. I'll be happy to talk with you further about it... CM doesn't allow much room for discussion on the Q&A.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 7:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• According to the DSM-IV, Negative and defiant behavior are expresed by persistant stubourness, resistance to directions, unwillingness to compromise, give in, or negotiate with adults or peers. Defiance may also include deliberate or persistent testing of limits, usually by ignoring orders, arguing, and failing to accept blame for misdeeds. Hostility can be directed a adults o peers an isshown by deliberately annoying others or by verbal aggression.
    Manifestations ofthe dsorder are almost invariably present in the homearetypically more eviden in interaction wih adults or peers whom the inividual knows well, and thu may not be apparent during clinical examination. Usually individuals with thisdisorder do not regard themselves as oppositional or defian, but justify thei behavior as a response to unreasonable demands or circumstances. ADD/ ADHD is common in children with ODD. I have more but it won't let me keep typing. lol.
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 7:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Oddly enough I diagnosed a child today with ODD. I have to say it is one of my least favorites because I try very hard to rule out anxiety and depression, PTSD. Most clinicians try to find any other reason before assuming ODD. And really medication isn't really an answer for ODD and conduct disorder. For the ADHD yes. But unless it is violent behavior there is no magic pill for this. Therapy. Sometimes for violence and rage there are some medication options that decrease energy, so they have no ability to fight, for their safety. And safety of others. GL. Mostly parents are scared for their kids.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i do, my odest has adhd, depression and odd. its basically a typical teen, 50 xs worse.
    notjstasocermom

Answer by notjstasocermom at 9:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• No, I don't have. The symptoms and behaviours associated with oppositional defiant disorder may present from an earlier age, usually children are mostly affected by it. The symptoms of this disorder are easy to see. The basic three characteristics that you’d find in a child with ODD would be – defiance, aggression and the constant urge to irritate others. In this condition a health expert can better guide you and you have to visit.

Alisha132

Answer by Alisha132 at 6:19 AM on May. 20, 2011