I wanna bake, but....

I would like to bake a dear friend (who is so good at cooking) a bday cake. I never have before and I am intimidated. Should I use a mix or from scratch? Any advice....cooking or decorating?

ochsamom

Asked by ochsamom at 6:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• you could make cute cupcakes. i would use boxed cake mix and use a good cream cheese frosting.

1 -8oz. package cream cheese
    1 stick of butter
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3 tablespoon sugar

and color it with food dye if you'd like.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I think both are good, but if you're nervous...maybe use a boxed one. It cuts out a few steps for you and tastes fine, in my opinion. I'm sure she will be happy you made the effort and thought about her no matter how it turns out! You're a good friend!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i love to bake, but all the cakes i have ever baked were from a box. im sure either way your friend is going to love the thought. how about a nice red velvet cake with cream cheese icing? you can get red decorating icing to write out Happy Birthday ____ insert name here. Happy Baking!

check out allrecipes.com for some from scratch cakes =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Doctor up a mix - follow the directions BUT - use 1 extra egg, replace some of the water with sour cream (if it calls for 1 1/4 cups water, use about 3/4 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup water), and add a small box of instant pudding mix to the cake mix when you beat it. It's really yummy to use a chocolate fudge cake and chocolate fudge pudding - if you like chocolate. Bake it in a Bundt pan. Then for a topping, put 3/4 of a cup of heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan, and about 1 cup of high-quality chocolate chips in a glass or metal bowl (anything but plastic). Heat up the whipping cream - don't stir, but watch close - once it starts to bubble it will expand in a hurry - quickly pour it over the chocolate and whisk til it's all melted. Let it cool and pour over the cake. So decadant.
    Anonymous

• Definitely scratch!

My favorite sweet recipes are from here:  http://dld123.com/sweetsavvy/

Answer by rkoloms at 8:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I bake all the time, and have baked professionally, but you can't beat most box cake mixes! If you want it to be great the first time use a box, then experiment on your family with a scratch cake, ha~!
    mommerbean

Answer by mommerbean at 6:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Boxed may be easier to start out with, to ensure a moist cake, throw in a third of a cup of sour cream into each box mix. Trust me.. everyone will think you made it from scratch..
    ChristineJarman

Answer by ChristineJarman at 10:12 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• You all are great, ty! The cake turned out perfect!
    ochsamom

Comment by ochsamom (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2011