Is this normal to expect?

I am 31 weeks pregnant with my first child. I had an appointment yeasterday, and I asked when my next ultra sound would be. They said I will not have another one unless they think something is wrong. I have only had 3 ultrasounds total so far. It is normal not to have anymore?

Also, at my anatomy ultrasound they were not %100 sure about the babies sex. Could I ask them for another ultrasound to make sure?

neecie1986

Asked by neecie1986 at 6:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Most women don't even have one that far along. One at the beginning, and one around 20 weeks, then that's it. Sounds pretty normal to me! =) Next time you see your baby, you'll be holding him/her!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• yes, normal. some doctors or insurance companies only allow one ultrasound in the entire pregnancy unless it's medically necessary to do more.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes it really just depends on how many the insurance company wants to cover but really I think one is sufficient.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Totally normal... The only reason I had one at 33 weeks is because they were worried about the size. As for the sex, it's not a medically necessary reason to have an ultrasound. You could have one of those 3D ones done outside of the hospital setting, to find out, but you would have to pay for it yourself...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• they probably wont do another one just to find out the sex, but you could always ask, the worst they can say is no. are you familiar with 3D or 4D ultrasounds? you have to pay for them but they are really neat! it's not black and white like a traditional ultrasound, and it gives you some kind of indication of what the baby's face looks like. sometimes you can even see hair. and, you can ask the technician to check the sex =) google 3d ultrasounds in your area i'm sure there are plenty!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes it's normal. Back in the day (six years ago) when I had my daughter I had an ultrasound every doctors visit. (i was in the military) I'm 34 weeks pregnant now and my insurance only covers three. So yes it's normal. As far as the sex they are not concerned about it as long as your baby is healthy you're good to them. You'll probably have to go to one of those places that do I think they're 4d ultrasounds to get the sex of the baby(you have to pay outta pocket I believe). Your insurance will not pay for another ultrasound just to get the sex of the baby. Sorry mamas...good luck to you and baby!
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 7:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Wow myself and tnm786 were thinking the same thing! Cool!
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 7:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• normal..unless there is some sort of major issue
    bethany0199

Answer by bethany0199 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Uhhhh, you've had more than normal. Most people only get one ultrasound between 18-22 weeks.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes, that's normal. They said the same for me. You can ask for another ultrasound, but it might not be covered because they might see it as something that isn't necessary.
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 9:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011