Eat what I've made or...

What do you do when your child doesn't want to eat what you've made?

kaitilala

Asked by kaitilala at 7:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• They do not eat tell the next meal. That is what I do.

Answer by louise2 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• it depends on their ages. i literally go through this EVERY night with my 2 year old. she eats every meal but dinner, no matter what i make (besides spaghetti). so i offer her a nutri-grain bar, yogurt & some OJ.

my 4 year old on the other hand, gets nothing. she is old enough to know i make one dinner and thats it. if she tries it and doesnt like it, then she can have a PB & J or what i would offer the 2 year old. if she's just being stubborn though, then she can go to bed hungry. HER choice, not mine. although i havent had this problem since she turned 4. she learned fast LOL

bottomline i dont believe in being a fry cook and serving everyone different meals. either eat what i cook or go to bed hungry, besides the circumstances mentioned above.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• They don't eat. I am not a short order cook. Now with that being said, I try to make things they will like, but if for some reason they are feeling picky that day, too bad so sad. It won't hurt them to either eat it or go without until the next meal.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Sadly I give in and make him a sandwich. I have gotten better, because I used to make him what ever he wanted. A lot of people told me to not feed him anything because he would not let himself starve, but if only they knew. DS is extremely strong willed and he would be willing to go days without eating. We have had many stand offs before, where I thought I was going to win and he would beat me out every time. So instead of making what he wants I just give him a choice to eat what I cooked, or eat a sandwich.
    jaysmommy04

Answer by jaysmommy04 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• OR Don't eat at all!! youngest dd is 1 and she'll eat anything, on the other hand, other dd which is 2, is ''picky'' ... she loves nuggets, but tonight we had nuggets & green beans and she would not eat, so therefore she gets nothing. I leave the plate on the table just incase she changes her mind, which sometimes she does.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Mine all have to atleast try what I made before they can have something else.

Answer by gemgem at 7:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If you don't eat what I make, you get cereal or a sandwich. That's how I roll. =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My husband's mother used to make him "special meals" because he refused to eat what the rest of the family ate, she was afraid he was going to starve. Guess what, he's a horrible eater as an adult. There are things he wouldn't eat now that everyday people eat without even thinking about it. He's resistant to trying new things. He's become better as we've been married and tries to set a good example for the kids, but he's still stunted in that department. He even says he wishes he were different, it can be awkward for him at meetings and other such events.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• "I guess your not hungry."
    After a little bit of whining they cave.

jaysmommy04, my friends son is like that as well. Its a tough road! Good Luck!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 7:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• They don't have that choice, well ds does bc he's 14 mos but he eats pretty well. DD gets picky sometimes and if she just plays with her food she still has to eat it and she doesn't go to bed until she's eaten a good amount of her dinner. I used to just send her to bed if she wouldn't eat but then she started getting up in the middle of the night and pilfering through junk food. I tell her if her dad cares enough to work to buy it and I care enough to make it, she has to do us the courtesy of eating it. That said, I don't fix things she doesn't like on purpose but i do make her takes a few bites of stuff if she says she doesn't like it because a lot of times she ends up liking the food.
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 7:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011