I need to purchase a car seat for my 4 year old daughter. I am looking at the options of backless and high backed boosters. I am curious about the backless ones. How well do they support sleeping kids? And can they go in the middle of the rear seat and be safe with just a lap belt to secure it and the child? I looked at WalMart's answer page and could not find an answer so I thought I would ask here. Thanks girls.

I am looking at the Cosco Pronto, Evenflo Big Kid and Graco Turbo Booster. Any input would be appreciated.

BrownEyedMomTo3

Asked by BrownEyedMomTo3 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think if you go with the booster seat you will regret it. I would get the kind that looks like a regular seat in the car (know what I mean?) then the seat belt goes on like normal.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Just so you know you are not supposed to use just a lap belt with a booster seat. must use a lap a booster seat with just a lap, you must always use a shoulder belt as well. And how tall is your child? If their ears come above the seat of your vehicle you need to choose the high backed booster. If your child is not that tall, a reguler booster will work just fine.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• the safety tests ive seen recently show that the backless boosters are the safest...however, you need the full seat belt on for the booster to work properly...like on the sides of thnen car...make sense
    ?8/8o888 os88888888
    sorry baby playing with key board lol GOOD LUCK
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 8:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My dd has the booster with the choice to have the back attached to it. I keep it on since it does better for sleeping, otherwise she would just be hanging there with the seat belt chocking her. I would recommend one like that.

Anonymous

• I personally use the backless, for one because they really do work just as good as the one's with backs and for two because I have a two door car and the one's with backs are a real pain the the butt to get in and out. I know for sure that the backless and one's with backs work the same because their bio Mother (i'm the step mom) uses the one's with backs and I have borrowed them before, Also the backless are alot easier for the kids to get into since they aren't so big, just be sure not to put it in the middle seat, and make sure that the lap part and the shoulder belt go underneath the arm rest when clicking it into the buckle, otherwise if you leave the shoulder belt above the arm rest it will rub into their neck.
    Rachel_88

Answer by Rachel_88 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I think that part is what make's people think that the backless one's are no good for their children, but if you put it under the arm rest it stays away from their necks. Both of my step children who are 3 1/2 have also not had any problems with sleeping with them, they usually fall asleep with their heads rested agaisnt the back of the seat, and as long as you aren't a maniac when you drive they will be perfectly fine.
    =)
    Rachel_88