What would you do? (Kinda long for background)

A little background: We live in a trailer. The property and the trailer are owned by my FIL. He bought them shortly after DH and I got married so that we could live here until we move in a few years when I go for my MSN (we'll have to move out of state for that). The reason we agreed is a long story, but that's the gist of it. He intends to rent it out after we move (which will probably be in about two years). When we moved in, he told us to treat the place as if we owned it, from hanging pictures to replacing appliances, etc.

Now, my question: Would you paint, knowing that you want be here for a long time? I'm considering it because A. I hate the ugly walls, and B. I think that a nice coat of paint in each room would make it look nicer when FIL tries to rent it.

There are also a couple of small holes from the previous owners (and one that we did while moving something heavy) that we intend to patch, so I think painting over that would also make it more attractive.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Well, if you know you're going to be there for at least 2 years, and your FIL has no issues with you doing things like that, I say go for it!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes, I would paint. It is an inexpensive way to freshen up things. I would pick neutral colors so they appeal to many people since you will not be there forever and that also makes it easier when he rents it to others. I assume you will ask him first if it is OK.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I say paint it ! He wouldn't have said it if he didn't mean it, I don't think. I would be courteous and use neutral colors!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If I knew I was going to be there for awhile I would try to make it feel like home. I'd make sure it was ok with FIL just so there's no problems down the road.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would paint it. After all, paint isn't that expensive and if he really doesn't like it when you move it can be easily repainted. Enjoy it while you're there and make it your own.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I was thinking mostly neutral, but maybe a brighter color in the bathroom and kitchen (they're small, no windows, so I thought that maybe a golden color in the kitchen and a sea foam or something in the bathroom would brighten them up). I don't want white anywhere, though. If nothing else, when we do move out, we can buy some more neutral colors and paint again if he wants us to.

If we decide we'd like to, we'll be talking to him first about it. We haven't decided yet, though.

Thanks for the opinions ladies!
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would just to make it comfortable for us. Ask him first.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 7:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2011