Here's a loaded one...breastfeeding a toddler

So here's a hot topic, I'd like to say, but would like to hear the different views. Why is there such strong ideas about breastfeeding a toddler 26 months and up? I think many of us are so stuck on what others think or how we are raised to believe certain things or feel about breastfeeding, it has prevented some women to enjoy or even experience the benefits of what breastfeeding brings. I'll be the first to say that I've been bombarded with looks and opinions about breastfeeding my little girl who is 2 y/o that it has left me questioning myself. I'm almost an emotional wreck and it is affecting me and my little girl. I don't think it is bad that she still nurses because of all the benefits that come with it like closeness and nutrients. I just wish that even my loved ones could just lay off. I understand the different views, but to try to force me to follow suit when it's not what I feel, is just draining.

mommieGem

Asked by mommieGem at 7:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm sorry you have to deal with these opinions. It evokes such strong emotions because our society is so uptight in general. Hang tough and do your "thing".
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Don't worry about what they think. I BF'd my youngest until 16m because I was working and she just gave it up. You know you are doing what is best for your child.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I personally would not do that. That is too old. imo BUT it is your life, your child, and it works for you. Ignore them.
    Anonymous

• It's a topic I feel that's to each their own. If you want to breast feed for an extended period of time, go for it. You're not hurting anyone. I make the feeding choices I make because it works for me, and you make the feeding choices you make because it works for you. I wish people could be more open minded about things like breast feeding. It's your body, your baby, and it's seriously an asinine thing to judge anyone for.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I commend you for continuing. i do believe that at a certain age it does get weird but come on everyone knows that, and 2 is not that age. My sister breastfed her babies clear till they were 3. It is good for the kids my kids pediatrition suggested i do it to that age, but i wasnt able. dont let others mess with your head, do what you truly believe is best for your child, because honestly thats all that really matters.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 7:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• oh tell them to get a life. my brother was breast fed a lot longer than taht, and he's 6 foot 6, can play the whole football defensive line pretty much by himself and heals so fast that there's been medical research done on him.
    do what is best for you
    Anonymous

• You should continue to breastfeed your child until you and your baby have made a decision to stop breastfeeding. There's no set age limit. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends and requests that you breastfeed your baby up to one year. However, at any point during that time it will be between you and your baby if breastfeeding continues to be an important part of the mother-baby dynamic. Breastfeeding is about you and your baby being in synergy and understanding one another. So, when that comes to a point that it's no longer the right choice, you'll know it and your baby will know it. If that's at nine months and you're ready to transition, or if it's at 36 months, that's between mother and baby.

My baby is 8 months and when I show him the breast before nursing he gets so excited and he laughs! It is so funny! I am going to breastfeed for sure until he turns 1, but I have a feeling he will want to nurse longer.
    RiaChristine

Answer by RiaChristine at 8:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If its an infant and a woman is not breastfeeding some raise their eyebrows, if its a toddler and we are still breastfeeding people GASP. Kinda funny how formula feeders FREAK OUT over BFers telling them that breast is best, but turn the table and look at the judgement an extended breastfeeder gets, its absurd! We should all support eachother no matter what. I agree that our country is incredibly uptight, I have no idea where and when the ick factor was attached to breastfeeding but its got to stop.

FWIW, I still nurse my son, he's 3, GASP.... its only at night for comfort, he loves it. I feel pressure to make him stop because its "weird" to just about everyone I know, except my husband, thankfully. In fact, I have actually lied to friends that he's stoppped. Its absurd that something that honestly feels so normal and natural to me is also something that I have been made to feel ashamed of.
    Anonymous

• Because breasts have been sexualized over the years. Some people do not see them as a means to feed an infant (let alone a toddler). I have honestly heard mothers say to me "oh god no, I don't want my baby sucking on my nipple that's just gross! That is for my husband!"... Pretty sure evolution didn't give us mammary glands and nipples for our husbands. Keep doing what you are doing. The next time someone gives you unsolicited advice, give them plenty back... When a friend of mine said I shouldn't be nursing my 17 month old, he's too old...I told her she shouldn't be letting her 2 year old eat McDonald's and drink soda, he's going to get diabetes or cancer. She shut up real fast...

XxPixiesworldxX

Answer by XxPixiesworldxX at 12:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i would still be breastfeeding my almost two year old but i had to wean her off before the new baby came. i think as long as your still comfortable, you're instincts will tell you what to do.
    but there is a point when it's too old, like when the kid can suggest not eating something because of the flavor or you both being able to stand up and breast feed.
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 9:14 AM on Mar. 10, 2011