How to deal with the deployment of loved ones?

My fiance, Jordan was recently deployed into the Marines. This is my first time with out him wherever i need him. He proposed to me at the airport before he left. I believe im doing good with the whole situation, but my family and friends think it has taken a chunk of me away. I would love some advice on how to deal with the deployment. It would be greatly appreciated:) Thanks so much, Bridgette!

MarinesRmyLife

Asked by MarinesRmyLife at 7:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• Spend time with family, go out by yourself, get a job to pass the time, get a hobby (scrapbooking, sewing, photography) write him letters (hand written letters will be nice don't spray with perfume though) don't occupy your time with people that are just going to be negative because that will just upset you, find some wives or girlfriends of the unit, good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Thanks so much:) I will try my very best to complete some of those. I really do appreciate your help and most of all your support:)
    MarinesRmyLife

Comment by MarinesRmyLife (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I can relate. My older brother was deployed this morning. It's been a constant fight all day to hold myself together. This is very hard on my family and I. I agree with matthewscandi. I'll be praying for your fiances safe return. If you need to talk feel free to message me:)
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I coped by writing daily. I would write about the most mundane tasks to my favorite show. I took a class while he was away and I kept him updated. Even though I missed him with my heart and soul, I didn't dwell on it. And I let him know I loved him. And I kept busy, class, tried to obedience train our dog (he got kicked out lol-a lot like Marley) and I kept in touch with family (we lived in a different state from our family). They also have family support through his unit, I really didn't use them much, but they are there.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• you just learn to deal. not what you wanted to hear right. some days will be tougher and some days will be easier. i'm a marine wife and my husband has been gone all But 11 months of my daughters 3 and a half years. you gotta be tough and get with some other militar wives. it's going to be harder as a fiancee because you are not a wife and therefore the command wont' tellyou anything you will have to find out through other wives and him. keep your chin up and pray for him every day. send him beef jerky. they love it over there. you will be a stronger woman than you thought possible. you will be just as strong as him but in a very different way.
    mrs.trial

Answer by mrs.trial at 12:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2011