how would you handle it?

Ok so my DHs family is HORRIBLE to us. They never call (we just found out his father was in the hospital and they never called to tell us), they never drop by to see us, and when it comes to holidays or bdays they contact me 1-2 days before the event to let me know whats going on. Even if I call them frequently leading up to that day.
I can't stand them treating me like I should drop EVERYTHINg to go to their house when they can't even give mt the time of DAY!!!!!!!!!
My family lives near us to so holidays are shared between families, and it only makes it harder when they do this to us. Finally my DH said screw em.. and we are celebrating thannksgiving with my family ONLY! And the funny thing is.. they don't ever do this to the rest of the family (her other 3 kids) just us!
What whoudl you do and how would you react?

eykelley

Asked by eykelley at 8:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Relationships

• I would react the same way your man did.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 8:50 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Yes, I would be upset too. I would try to find out why this is happening but if you can't, I would go with your husband on the screw them part because if your family (meaning you, DH and your kids) have done nothing to deserve this kind of treatment (which it sounds like you haven't), then it's pretty much their problem. Spend the holidays with your family where you know you're all welcome and enjoy them.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• If they don't respect you and your dh then they should not expect to be respected. Live your life in peace and do what you want to do to enjoy holidays. Life is way too short for nonsense.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Just be thankful your DH is standing by your side- That was the same sit my parents were in and my dad always acted like my mom was over-reacting and that it had to be her fault - sad i know
    jmdelan2

Answer by jmdelan2 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Have you ever asked them why? Try to talk with them calmly. Let them talk, and then you talk. Nothing will ever get better it you guys don’t acknowledge the problem. You obviously care or you would not have asked. Maybe they would do things differently if they knew how you felt.
    Nikkisabella

Answer by Nikkisabella at 11:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• If they want to wait till the last minute to invite you to things, next time I would just say 'if you had given me more notice, maybe would have come' and not go. I would have the same attitude your dh has. I've dealt with that with my family too, and I look at it as, I'll make an effort when you do. It can't be one-sided all the time. Especially holidays are about being with family and ENJOYING them, so go where you feel welcome! If they can't even be bothered to invite you, why should you be bothered to show up?
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2008