Do you think Mom's on here really follow other's mom's MEDICAL advice?

I just think it's crazy when someone asks a medical question concerning there or there child(s) health, like should he/she take this or that, and so forth.....or taking a certain medicine while pregnant. I would just hate to hear about something happening because they got the wrong advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Health

• I think they ask for the same reason you talk to a girlfriend, sister, or your mom before you go into the doctor.

It might be because they want to make sure they are not under-reacting, or overreacting...see what the outcome was for someone else that had been through it...see if there is anything they could try at home before taking an expensive trip to the doctor.

I'm sure very few people use the advice they get here in place of their own judgment, but more like reassurance or to relieve some anxiety and doubts.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I think the point of asking and getting medical advice is just a way of exploring one's options. Doesn't replace a consult with a doctor, but there are all sorts of medical decisions we make without a doctor - I see no harm in getting another mother's opinions or experiences before making your decision - which is ultimately your decision, either way. No-one is telling you to do this or that, it's just exchanging a ideas. And most will say "see a doctor!" if it might be something serious. No harm.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I've asked medical advice on CM before, but I was looking for opinions and experiences, not using it instead of a doctor. Sometimes it helps to know what others' experiences are so you know what kind of questions to ask your doctor.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 8:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Again? Haven't you posted this same thing several times in the last two days? We get it! You don't approve of medical questions being asked or answered on here. Why not petition CM to get the health category removed?

I am sure most moms are smart enough to take any advice with a grain of salt.
    Anonymous

• Im sure some do....
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Excuse you Anon, but this is the first time I've posted this question, EVER! I never said I didn't approve either, READ AGAIN!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• No one is that naive, I think this is more for comfort. I always say consult your doctor.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 8:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i'm sure some do, as well. there are plenty of moms here to answer intelligently, with sound advice. most of the health/medical/emergency-related responses will always include ''call/ask your doctor''..its not like anyone expects people to follow their advice BEFORE a doctor's.
    although, i'm sure there are plenty to never consult a doctor, also. LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would hope not... But some moms don't take medical issues as seriously as they should, i guess. Moms should ALWAYS take their little ones to the doctor if they have even the most itty bitty feeling that something isn't right.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 8:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• sometimes yes sometimes no
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2011