Do you think..

Teen and pre teen kids should be watching shows where teen pregnancy and being Gay is accepted. I'm talking about shows like Glee, Degrassi, and Secret life (Of an American teenager). I personally like these shows, but I am an adult. I think these kinds of shows give kids a false reality and make it look like these very adult decisions and situations are easy. I have no problem with Homosexuals and if that is the adult choice you make in your life Good for you that you are willing to come out with it. But I think these shows make kids lean that way even if it is not truely who they are. Just because the are a girl who can't find a boy friend or a boy who can't get a girl friend. Also they make it seem ok to just have sex and get pregnant in high shool. LIKE IT"S NO BIG DEAL!!! I do not have a teen age child, but I am terrified of what my 16 month old daughter will have to face once she is that age. So those of you who are parents to teen and pre teen children. Do they watch these shows Why? why not?

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Op, i will add. If you monitor what your child watches from the start, have open discussions, and teach your morality and values at home, you won't have to worry about what's on tv. I don't really care what others say. my son isn't 'sheltered', but he is reasponsible and i do monitor and limit his exposure to tv shows, movies, and certain families that i feel are not a good influence. call me a snob, i don't care, but i'm responsible for raising a young this young man, not anyone else. I don't care what 'sex crime rates' are in other countries, i don't live there. i don't care if people think i 'm a prude, i know better. There is a time, place and approriate age for teaching our kids about sex and our own values of it. And no, my son does not do things he's not suppose to when i don't 'know', because he's responsible. He's honest with me, and i'm honest with him. If something is not appropriate, i will explain to him why.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I don't have a problem with shows that portray homosexuality, but I do have a problem with shows that show teen sex, teen pregnancy, drinking and drug use in a positive light.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I was with you until you mentioned the homosexual angle...Being gay IS ok

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I have boys aged 20, 18 and 7 and girls aged 16, 13, and 2. I totally understand what you're saying. The homosexual thing doesn't bother me particularly, but the premarital and CASUAL sex really does. It's everywhere. My girls watch Scrubs, and it's who's sleeping with who NOW, sorta thing. Totally freaks me out, but I don't wanna say they can't watch it. We just make sure they understand that that's TV land and although some people chose to live like that in real life too, it is a very risky and irresponsible way to live. I think they get it. Only the eldest boy is not a virgin, and he's moved out of home and studying at Uni. Even he is careful and (I think) has only had two partners, one of whom was is girlfriend for 2+ years (the other was a slut who lived next door to us).
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Americans as a society are a prude bunch. Kids wil watch the shows u do not want them to watch,listen to music u don't want them to listen to, watch porno movies, ect. I never could understand why the FCC tends to blur any sort of nudiety, even in cartoons! In Europe, they do not do anything like our country does. Many parents are scared that if their kid watches nude movies, movies that drugs are being used they will do the same thing. Well if th parents didn't raise them with good common sense and that they are movies or shows and none of it is real, the people on it are ACTING, then I would place the blame on the parents cause they didn't raise a child with good morals or common sense. The forbidden fruit always tastes better thern if they were allowed to have it. Movies with sex, public thinks it causes men to go out and rape women. Sex should be not seen or heard. Its dirty, ewwww...
    Anonymous

• Well, I don't think homosexuality is a decision. People are born gay, so IMO if we censor teenagers for being gay because it's too adult, then we would have to censor straight relationships for being too adult. Casual sex, alcohol and drugs are what bothers me because those are bad decisions that I don't want my daughter to think of as acceptable.
    Cosetterose

Answer by Cosetterose at 5:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• By taking away the 'curiosity' of what is 'forbidden', it no longer is such a big deal.

I do have a freind with a dd the same age. She lets her dd watch anything. she lets her wear anything. And the little girl wants to dress like the 'teen's she see's on tv and in the media (who are not really teens). I no longer let her dd play with my son, because the last several times, i have overheard and saw the dd play in very disburbing ways. She dresses like a teen, she's always talking about sex, kissing, boys, boobs, and so on. she asked my son to touch her 'boobies'. she "flashed" her boobies from her swimsuit to the kids. That was it for me, no more. my freind is going to end up a grandmother before she is even has baby number 2 herself!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree with you. Theres so much out theres so much out here now a days that sets the wrong impression and its only getting worse!
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 8:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I personally do not agree with many things that are so main stream on tv. Children should not be allowed to follow these programs due to there context. I have teens and can not seem to get them from watching these shows. What I do is I have family meetings about many things that are being shown. I just pray thats enough. If I do not allow them to watch it they will find a way.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 8:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I don't have a problem with shows that portray homosexuality, in fact, they should so that it can be accepted as normal as heterosxuality. I don't think it 'makes' people gay who would not otherwise be. And i don't have a problem with people experimenting to find out what they are.

I do have a problem with shows that display too much sexual activity (beyond kissing), teen pregnancy, drugs and alcohol in anything but a negative and illegal point of view, and yes, teens push the envelope with respect and discipline, but shows that display teens verbally abusing or treating their parents beyond that of normal teen behavior is disturbing.

Tv, and especially shows our son watches is monitored, and restricted in our home. I do not feel we are sheltering our son either, he learns all the crap outside of the home still, but in the home is where he learns the morality of it all.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2011