Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

37 weeks pregnant and running a fever

My friend is 37 weeks pregnant and she's running a fever.
She has a doctor's appt tomorrow. Should she wait until tomorrow to see her ob doctor or go to the ER?

Answer Question

Asked by mommy2be0611 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

Level 16 (2,999 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Plus at her last dr. appt he told her she could go into labor at anytime. would it be bad if she went into labor while shes sick?

    Comment by mommy2be0611 (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

  • It depends on how high the fever is, if it's upwards of 103 then I'd head to the Dr. otherwise I'd just wait it out. Tell her to stay well hydrated and try to eat something even if it's just some chicken broth to help keep her nourished and energized if she does go into labor.

    The problem with laboring with a fever is that the Dr.s are going to assume she has some kind of infection. Once her water breaks they're going to monitor her very closely since she already has a fever. If she goes very long it's likely she'll end up with a c-section. They will also give the baby antibiotics after its born.

    Answer by jupiter84 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

  • I was running a fever when I went in thinking I was in labor with my youngest. I was not in labor, but because I had a fever and the baby was in distress they broke my water. How high is her fever and tell her to keep drinking fluids.

    Answer by amber1330 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

  • I don't think I'd go to the E.R. She'd probably pick up something worse in the waiting room. I'd probably just wait until the appointment or call my provider that night.

    Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

  • I would wait til the appointment. I am kind of in the same boat. I am only 30 weeks, but I have a fever of 103 and the flu, but knowing I have a dr appt in the morning, I am just trying to keep myself hydrated and wait it out.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

  • I would call her doctor or the hospital and ask what they think.

    Answer by sissy0604 at 2:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.