When did your toddler stop taking naps?

My son is 2 1/2, and has "refused" a nap twice this week. It's getting more difficult to get him down lately. Should I try moving his naptime back a little so that he's more tired, or just accept the fact that the end of naptime (and Mommy's sanity) is near?

vixenmama

Asked by vixenmama at 8:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Accept the fact that daily naptimes are coming to an end. My son stopped napping on a regular basis at 2 years old. You can't force him to nap but you can have an hour of quiet time. Let him lay down and watch a quiet movie.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• it could be a phase. my ds didnt take a nap for a week, but i still put him in his room for "quiet time" and then he started up again. every now and then he wont take one, but everyone, including toddler, need quiet time.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My dd is 4 and she still takes them. I did a one week trial period where I tested how she would act without a nap vs. how she acts with a nap and found that it was more beneficial for her to take naps still as she would wake up crying throughout the night when she had no naps and she would fall asleep during dinner time too!! So I started her back with naps just shorter ones. Good luck!!

MissLoveLyfe

Answer by MissLoveLyfe at 9:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• my DD is almost 3 she still takes them... she sleeps for about 2 hours... she doesnt take them all the time, maybe 2 or 3 times a week we have a busy schedule, so she doesnt get the chance.....
    Aimes85

Answer by Aimes85 at 12:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• my son will be 4 in April and he stills takes naps once in a while depends on how tired he gets during the day and how early he gets up.  I would say once they start school

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:46 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My DS is 3 and he still takes them everyday. How much sleep is he getting at night? I think sometimes they just through a phase, but I would still enforce a "quiet time" where he has to lay on the couch or lay down and be quiet. This will continue the trend and maybe he'll get back to napping soon. Just keep trying.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:16 AM on Mar. 11, 2011