What are some good foods that will keep me full longer and give energy?

I get a break/lunch every 2 hours at work. Every break I scarf down food as if I'm never gonna get more b/c I dont wanna get hungry and then that's all I can think about until another break. I need to eat healthy to lose weight. I don't have this problem at home when I can eat whenever I want only at work when I'm on a schedule

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 8:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• High fiber/protein will definitely help you stay fuller, longer.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• High fiber foods....whole grains, fruits, veggies. Oatmeal is very filling. Drink water instead of soda or juice.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Hmm...it sounds like maybe there is an underlying addiction/dependency issue that you might want to sort through first. I say this from personal experience because I used food for every emotion under the sun! I had a huge lifestyle change and lost 137 lbs and will lose the remaining 30 or so once I deliver our daughter in May.

However, in the mean time, try high/dense protein foods like hard boiled eggs, lean chicken breast, greek yogurt and humus or beans.

Be careful of programs that just give you a certain number of calories or points without more detailed direction on what to eat. Ask around to see if there is a nutritionist you can speak with.

Good luck!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 9:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• baked potato - nuke it, put some salsa on it
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 8:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I had 1 apple for lunch/breakfast and i wasnt hungry for 5 hours! Maybe less sugary cereal for breakfast, like Kashi cereal, it keeps me full untill at least 3pm.
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 8:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I am on weight watchers and got a couple good tips "filling foods" Banana or apple with peanut butter. Almonds or grapes, they make me feel like I am munching on something (other than chips) Oatmeal makes you feel full for a good long time. Goodluck!
    WonderingHeart

Answer by WonderingHeart at 8:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Eggs fill me up like crazy. I eat 2 hard boiled eggs in the morning and that holds me out for 3 hours! (which I am like you (I think) I get hungry every 30min-1hr)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• A mix of protein and complex carbs helps me feel full. I take beef jerky with me a lot. It takes a while to eat, but it is packed with protein and fairly low fat and calories.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I have oatmeal so I'm gonna try that for breakfast. I love jerky. We have a lot of it, too b/c we smoke our venison ourselves. Also we have smoked salmon and steelhead fresh caught so that may be good too. I love trail mix so almonds would be ok too :) Thanks you guys!
    huntin_mama

Comment by huntin_mama (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I pack my snacks for school, and I often include things like berries and cottage cheese, string cheese with whole wheat crackers or a tomato, whole wheat crackers and hummus, an apple with 1 TBSP natural peanut butter, nuts, things like that. I have a little cooler that I put an ice pack into in the morning, and it's super easy. It's helped keep me from getting to where I am starving (thus, eat everything in the fridge when I get home), and it keeps me out of the cafeteria (where saturated fat and sodium abound!).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2011