Questions about the Bible

I've always wondered this - when people ask questions about the bible (esp when they ask it in a way that makes it sound like they are trying to "catch" or prove some sort of contradiction in the Christian beliefs) do you (if you're one that does this) study it first? Do you read the surrounding verses, find a commentary or 2 to double check before assuming? How often do you just rely on what others have told you rather than searching for yourself?

pwfaith

Asked by pwfaith at 1:03 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Whenever I hear something that is "from the Bible" I look it up myself. I am one who has to research anything I hear and learn as much as I can about it. There are a lot of times when what I am told is not what I find but I don't use it against the person that told me. Sometimes people think it is easier to just say what they hear but I don't do that because I like to teach people and you can't teach others unless you know what you are talking about.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 1:18 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I agree with the answer above. Remember that the Bible says that there will be false prophets, and if you just turn the TV on and watch the news, you can often see quite a few of them. It's best to study the word on your own. Many people LOVE to take the word of God and twist it. For example, many people are quick to tell others they sinned by doing this or that, but doesn't the Bible say that no one is perfect but God? "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." NO ONE should cast stones at anyone else, but many "so-called Christians" do. Many parts of the Bible I know well and if someone twists them I can stop them in their tracks, but sometimes people throw curve balls and I have to pick the good book up and read it for myself. The word is something that, when coming from others, I like to dive into on my own. In the case of the Bible, it's best to get your answers straight from the source.
    tippymorgan08

Answer by tippymorgan08 at 1:26 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I believe if you're going to answer a question about the bible, unless you know the answer to that question because you got it straight from the bible, you refer to it (bible) first and maybe even pray on it before you answer it. Don't just go on assumption or hear-say when it comes to the bible because those who mislead will be judged harshly. That's what I would try to do anyway.
    callico

Answer by callico at 1:50 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Our Pastor at our church always tells us..."check my references"..."make sure that I am staying true to the word". He makes it very clear to us that you cannot just believe whatever you hear. You have to be responsible.
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 2:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• i've read that book so many times, i can almost always instantly answer the question. almost always. but i'm not good at remembering verses and chapters. never was. still, if they ask me, they'd best do it with the understanding that my biblical knowledge came from being in church every sunday morning, night and wed night from teh time i was born until i was 16. not any kind of seminary.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 8:13 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I don't read the bible but I have had friends quote it and I don't believe everything it says.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." is widely misused. I'm a firm believer in reading the bible as a whole, not picking verses here and there. I agree Jeses said this but why di he say it? He was speaking to the Pharisees, he same ones he had been talking to when he said "Do not judge" (also widely misused/misquoted) If ppl would take the time and study each passage and its context they would find they are not blanket statements. He is saying not to judge others hypocritically. Other passages talk about judging in a positive sense. It talks about judging the sin, especially among believers. Although he said not to cast the first stone he also did not condone her sin and told her to go and sin no more. This is what Christians SHOULD do, approach others in love with a sincere heart and a desire to bring about repentance and a change of heart. With that said it is also clear that we are not suppose to judge the heart, only the Holy Spirit can do that.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:41 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My original question has more to do with people who ask quesitons than with those who answer them. I seem to run into people all the time (and found many questions here) who seem to ask questions like they are trying to "catch me" in my belief. They give me all these supposed "contradictions". I've found that 9 out of 10 times they've heard it from someone else and never even checked it out for themselves. I know there are people who are very sincere. I love answering questions for people who are sincere and truly don't understand and have a respectful conversation. I just find the others extremely annoying and rude.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 9:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I was always someone that just took people's word for what the Bible says. I've asked people questions instead of searching for them myself. I've changed that a couple months ago and now do my own research. So many people misinterpret the information...it's better to look it up yourself and come to your own conclusions.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Let's flip the question. Do you go back and read the "offending" verse to see if it really is contradictory or do you rely on what you were taught?? The typical answer is "You are taking things out of context." But I wonder am I really or is this what you are conditioned to say because you don't want to go look at it and maybe see some truth??
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2008