Any single parents in college out there?

I'm looking for support. I am considering transfering to the university becuase they offer more help for single parents than my current community college. Tell me do you find itharder having kids, taking classes, and paying the vills versus just working (paying the bills) and taking care of the kids?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 9:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Both are equally hard, you just have to set up a schedule and have the kids help. I do a lot of my homework when my son is sleeping or in tutoring. I also read while I am waiting for him to get out of school. I arrive early for pickup and have about 30-40 minutes of uninterrupted study time. I am at a community college and they are amazing with single parents and other nontraditional students. The university that I will be going to isn't going to be as accomodating.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• thanks for your input :)
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• The hardest part is fitting in studying. I try to do it when he is in bed or at school. Working and going to school and being a single mom makes organizing and prioritizing things a must. If the house isn't perfect I am not going to worry about it. I get done what I can and leave the rest to worry about itself. Don't try to study with the kid(s) around, it is impossible and will just lead to frustration. Good luck mama!!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes, it was harder. Having the full time paycheck to pay bills with made things much easier than part time work, full time student. Of course, I wasn't getting any grants/loans, just a scholarship that paid tuition only. In my experience, the community college part was easier because it ran on the same schedule as my kids schools, when they were out, I was out - otherwise spring break would have been different, christmas break would have been different, etc.

Answer by missanc at 9:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• yeah I just talked to a university counsler and I am not ready for it. You know when I transfer I want to be my best and right now I got to many other tings going on so once I get stable I will head back to university and get my B.A. :) God Bless all hard working single mothers. We are the creme de la creme.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2011