Hair Pulling?

My son went through a hair pulling stage when he was just over a year old. He stopped...and now, he's a month away from being 3 and doing it again! And he's strong, it hurts! He'll just grab on and tug and you have to pry his hands off of your hair. Its really painful! Has anyone else's kid done this? I don't know why he suddenly started again or why he's doing it-I also don't know why when I'm shrieking at him "Let go of my hair or you're going to spend the rest of the day in your room/You're not going to play with any toys today/Absolutely no treats until Daddy gets home" he doesn't let go!

metalhealthmom

Asked by metalhealthmom at 9:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He's hurting you intentionally. And he doesn't let go because he wants to hurt you. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:49 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• You are making threats that you can't possibly follow through with, "no toys today", "your room all day". Consequences for a 3 year old need to be immediate and specific. Tell him that pulling your hair hurts and that it is not acceptable behavior and then put him in timeout immediately. Do it everytime and as many times as it takes for him to get the point that it's not ok to hurt people.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 1:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2011