What is the purpose of scheduling a c-section as opposed to allowing yourself to go into natural labor?

Is it so you can pick the day you want your child to come or is it to avoid labor pains?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 9:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Neither. A planned C-section is safer for Mother and Baby if the mother is not already in labor. That's why they usually plan it at least a week or two before the due date. Then Baby is mature enough to be born but Mother is unlikely to be in labor when they do it. Your question seems to be assuming that scheduled c-sections are done for the mother's convenience, but that is NOT necessairly the case. They are usually done because it would not be safe for mother to deliver vaginally, for whatever medical reason, and sugery is always safer and goes more smoothly if it is planned for ahead of time, rather than having to rush the laboring woman into emergency surgery.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Well, my sister scheduled hers because she was losing amniotic fluid and the baby needed to be born by the end of the week to avoid problems. Her doctor appointment was Wednesday. Her choice was Thursday or Friday. She picked Friday hoping, by some chance, she would go into labor before then.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My mom had me as a scheduled c-section 20 some years ago. I was feet first and had been the entire pregnancy, so they scheduled the c-section months before it was to occur. Then right before did an ultra sound to verify it was still necessary. It's easier on mom, baby, Dr, family and hospital to have non-emergency situations. It's much less stressful to schedule a c-section months in advance if it seems necessary, and then cancel at the last minute if nature takes over. Where as the other choice is to hope for the best and end up in an emergency situation. Why go through all that stress? Recovering from a c-section is much harder and a longer process for most then natural birth. I've never heard of a woman choosing a scheduled c-section over a vaginal birth unless it was medically necessary.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My friend has ruptured her uterus, so everytime she has a baby it's a guarranteed C sec. So at around 20 weeks they secheduled a date that would put her around 38 weeks to get her past the term mark, but not to far where she was likely to start contracting hard.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• There is a medical reason to schedule a c-section. My daughter was breech so we scheduled one. They don't do them for no reason unless it is a repeat c-section.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• its for different reasons. in my case, my bp was rising too much, and i couldn't bring it down, the swelling everywhere was atrocious..when he said we could consider doing that, i was like, 'well, ok'.
    some do it because they want to make sure their doc delivers, and not a substitute.
    its medical for some, and personal preference for others, if the doctor allows it.
    and its not my business.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Usually c-secs are scheduled for medical reasons. I had to have a c with my 2nd. I went into labor on my won but both of our hearts stopped and we were rushed to O.R. My doctor said I can try a VBAC but it will most likely end up in a c-sec because of the dangers of VBAC. Doctors are not supposed to just schedule c-secs. You are very misinformed!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• For me it was medical. My son was an emergency C-section, that we found out about later. When I was pregnant with my daughter 3 years after his birth we made an appointment with the doc that delivered HIM; which is when we found out about him. After getting all the facts from her, and nailing her to the wall with questions, she gave me about at 50/50 chance of being able to deliver my daughter VBAC. After nailing her to the wall some more we got her reluctant recommendation that VBAC would probably be a bad idea. Good thing too. My kids' heads were the same circumference at birth. If I'd tried she would have been an emergency C-section too.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• And trust me, a c-section is no party. It is painful! If I had a choice I would pick a vaginal birth any day of the week. I don't know why any woman would want to out themselves through that kind of pain for no reason. I had a vaginal birth with my first and recovery was easy and painless. ...I'll take that one.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Oh, and my daughter's C-section was planned a week before my due date. I was having contractions as they prepped me that day. I felt none of them.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2011