Puppy Help

I just got a puppy that is 6 weeks old, I have 2 other dogs that r 8 yrs old, they do not like her, we have had the puppy for approx a week. This puppy is very aggressive, I cannot remember if puppys shld be this aggressive (BITING) . she growls and bites hard. I know puppies bite, but I am just wondering if this behavior is normal? Thankyou for your time.

catseyez

Asked by catseyez at 9:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Is she nipping or is she biting? There's a difference. Make sure she has plenty of chew toys. Also, you might want to separate the puppy from your other dogs-keep her in the kitchen with some gates up or something like that. That might help the other dogs adjust to her.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 9:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• What kind of puppy is it?
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Depends on what type of dog she is. If she is a terrier breed (pitbull, jack russel, etc) nipping and aggression is very common with puppies. However, you need to try to get her to a trainer to get it under control before she gets older. It only gets worse, not better.
    neecie1986

Answer by neecie1986 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I was told she was a pom mix, but the vet said she was going to be a medium to lrg dog. she has a short nose and her tail curls up so I am not really sure, I am thinking maybe a chow m,ix.
    catseyez

Comment by catseyez (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Wait, I have a bully breed and they are NOT more aggressive as puppies!!! The only ones with aggression issues are those trained that way or those who are neglected. In fact, I have the sweetest, kindest puppy I've ever know, especially compared to most pure-bred dogs out there.

OP, you just need to train her. She's really young to be away from her mother, did you rescue her? I can't imagine why anyone would remove a 6wk old puppy unless they really had to. Keep her on her own for a bit and read up on training. Make sure you handle her often so she gets used to being bugged, especially when she's eating. If she bites, say no and put something she IS allowed to bite in her mouth, the keys work great at this stage. And finally, REWARD. When she's good, give her a little training treat. She's only trying to establish her place in your pack and I bet she's scared. Way too young. :(
    qtnik

Answer by qtnik at 9:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• She's probably a pug mix. They have curly tails too. And the behavior sounds typical of any puppy I've ever had. They like to rile the older dogs. My two older dogs pouted and grumbled around Tinky for a few weeks but now they play with her. Puppies do bite hard. They don't get it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I am in school to become a dog trainer. It is known that TERRIER breeds (not just bully breeds) are more aggresive as puppies. It is their nature. I am not saying all terrier type puppies are, I just said it is common. I have a 13 week old pitbull puppy right now who is the worst about being too rough with other dogs.
    neecie1986

Answer by neecie1986 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• A 6 week old puppy is to young to be away from it's littermates and mother.This is the time that puppys learn manners.The mother and littermates dish out punishment in a way that the puppys understand.They learn that biting is painful,you should see a litter of Yorkies.They are terrorists when it comes to play fighting among themselves.The mother will step in if she thinks they are going too far.You will have to play the part of the puppy's mother and littermates.When he/she bites say ouch real loud then say "no bite".A tap on the nose also may help.You don't want to hurt the pup so remember to be gentle with your touch.You will also want to start socialize the puppy.Start taking him in the car with you,to the bank,gas station,and places like that.After all the puppy shots have been given start introducing the puppy to the outside world,such as pet stores,walks that king of thing.Any ?'s just ask.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• She is teething just like a baby. Get her some rawhide chews so that she will have something to chew on to relieve the teething pain.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 10:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Six weeks is awfully young, I tend to think this dog might have a problem. Most puppies do put their mouths on everything, often doing puppy biting. They aren't vicious about it, and often it develops a little later than 6 weeks.

Some puppies do not have bite inhibition, particularly that young because it is a learned behavior. If the pup did not have a normal litter mate experience, or several other sets of circumstances, then you can end up with a dog lacking this. In this case, you need to train your dog so it does not injure you or the other animals.

Last, it might be a pup with a problem. The problem could be medical, it might be behavioral, as in temperament/ personality or environmental.

Terriers are more intense, but don't confuse it with aggressive....at six weeks. That is a problem.

I suggest a vet check including skeletal and full blood work up for imbalances like thyroid, followed by a behavior consultation
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2011