Need advice on a new ADHD medication

we went for our ADHD checkup the pediatrician says since my 10 yr isn't any weight since his last visit and we have tried everything to help him we now have no choice but, to take him off his focalin we are so upset because we are very happy with it my Son's metabolism is so fast on the medicine what do I everything out there has side affects afraid I tried a natural homeremedy and that made him worse he also has an abnormality of his brain maybe that's why what did all of you like???

Honey408

Asked by Honey408 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't really know about ADHD too much. I used to nanny a kids that "has it" but I couldn't belive it because his problem was a lack of dicipline by his parents so I am a little biased.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• One of my students has been on a lot of ADD meds but still had a lot of problems. He was recently switched to Tenex and it has been amazing. His mother is thrilled as are we.
    Tenex is not techinically an ADD medication, but they now make a medication called Intuniv that is Tenex based that is an ADD medication. I have been wanting to try it with my son, but he is currently on Clonidine which works on the same receptors and I hate messing with meds if I don't absolutely have to.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Oh and my son's therapist had her son on Tenex instead of the standard ADD meds and she raved about it as well.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Both of my boys have ADHD and both are on Focalin. Your son isn't gaining weight....is he gaining height? My kids' ped isn't too concerned about their slightly sluggish weight gain because they are getting taller very rapidly.

I was concerned about their seeming lack of weight gain, and the ped told me to get them some Pediasure and have them drink one a day in addition to their regular meals and snacks. It hasn't made a gigantic difference, but it has made some. Perhaps you could discuss something like that with his doctor, if you haven't already?

We got lucky and found Focalin to work right out of the gate consistently, so I have no experience with other meds to give you. The best advice I can give you in that regard is to do your research. Thoroughly research all the drugs, so that you know how they work and their side effects so you can discuss concerns BEFORE he starts them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If your son already has a brain abnormality, I can't imagine giving him any type of ADHD medication currently on the market.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Is there a forum on here for kids with ADD/HD? Because I really also would like more info.
    Maria999

Answer by Maria999 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011