How do you discipline your 4 yr old?

I have a 4 yr old daughter and sometimes I struggle with how to discipline her. I use to yell and get frustrated and give her one swift swipe to the bottom but I found that doesn't really work.. Now I do time out but that doesn't seem to be working either. Any suggestions??

toddler tantrum

MissLoveLyfe

Asked by MissLoveLyfe at 9:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• take away her favorite toy for a day; don't let her watch TV for a couple hours; get down on her level and talk to her; keep up with the timeouts; as the other ladies recommended

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• how long are the time outs? do you only give one, or do you keep going until she gets the message. LO used to just sit out the first then think she could do anything she pleased.
    maybe she needs longer or repeated time outs
    Anonymous

• i talk to her and let her know that what she did was wrong and i put her in time out. lately she has been comming home from school with an attitude which i think is from other kids and from being so tired from school but when she starts up i let her know thats not how we treat people and it doesnt go in our house and she goes to time out.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Dear misslovelyfe, just wanted to say there's nothing the matter with you! Although judimary has some great ideas, that doesn't always work. Is there something you could take away, such as tv time, a toy, I would keep w/ the timeouts as well. I have a 4 y/o as well and it is frustrating.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Thank you genagina! I didn't think there was anything wrong.. Some ppl feel better about themselves and their lives if they try and belittle others. Her life might be one big wreck and Cafemom is some place she can live out her fantasy life. (not saying this is the case but hey maybe.. just saying) But anyways I really appreciate all the positive comments ladies.. And some of the things that are suggested I will definitely try.

MissLoveLyfe

Comment by MissLoveLyfe (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You don't discipline a four year old!! What's the matter with you? Teach her, understand her, love her. No need or place for "discipline". Kids that age are intrinsically eager to please, just give her the tools and opportunities to be good and do the right thing, encourage her, and she will behave right. Don't expect her to be able to do things she's not able to do yet, but praise and loves goes a long way to raising a child.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011