What is the best way to potty train a 2 year old girl???

I've been trying to potty train my 2 year daughter but she feels uncomfortable going in the toilet. If she is sitting on the toilet and she has to go she runs for a diaper and wants me to put it on her. The only time I've gotten her to actually go has been first thing in the morning or if she's walking around without a diaper on and starts to go I run her to the toilet. Also, when she's in daycare they don't work with her much on it. So I'm on my own as a single-working mother. Any suggestions?

Allysmom2006

Asked by Allysmom2006 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you use the big toilet (the one you use) or a potty? Many, many toddlers are afraid of the big toilet - it's big, it's up high, and they just are not comfortable perched up there. Could you relax and go with an audience while balancing on a tight rope? That may be how she feels.

If you are using a little potty, I'd say just give her time. Put the little potty in the area she spends the most time. No one says it has to be in the bathroom. Then, when she starts to go, whisk her onto her potty - which is right there - and use a happy, excited voice.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I completely agree with Kaycee14.I am training my daughter and she gets an M&M every time she goes. She will only go three or four times a day the rest is in the diaper. But when she does go in the potty we clap and make it a big deal of it.
    Nikkisabella

Answer by Nikkisabella at 10:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• We got my daughter the Huggies pullups with princesses on them (she loves princesses). We treated them like they were underwear- not like diapers. So we told her that she needed to use the potty because she wouldn't want to pee on her princesses. This logic seemed to work for her. She now is in princess panties and is doing great. I also agree that the small potty is a good idea. She still prefers her little potty to the regular one (especially for pooping...) Most of all- just remember- don't push too hard. She'll go when she's ready and if you press her too much- she'll do the opposite of what you want. Amazing how stubborn they can be, isn't it?????
    Good Luck!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My 2 year old at first I used the small potty and every time i went she had to sit there then we went to the little seat u put on the potty, and now she want's to be a big girl and go in the potty with out the seat. Have u went to the pull ups yet? that's what I did when we weren't at home,but when we were at home then she was in panties, yeah I had to wash alot but pee feels different in panties than it does in a pull up, They don't like it!! e-mail me if ya need any more ideas!!
    supermomof924

Answer by supermomof924 at 12:08 AM on Nov. 23, 2008