Another sweetheart benefit of the unions?

In New York City, where Mayor Bloomberg is calling for teach layoffs, 9 Million dollars a year is spent paying teachers-at full salary- to do the Union's business.

That's a sweet deal. Top pay as a teacher, plus a union salary, and little to do because you carry so much power. Plus, they have to pay ANOTHER teacher to do the first one's job.

I've got to figure out how to make that work at MY job. Maybe, I can get someone to let me wait on just ONE table but collect all the tips of the night, and get a shiftleader wage on the side.

I'm going to get right on that.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/union_classic_le_en_jrQKCmKdjWQbMAtzqHASxI

If you are going to trash the source, please provide proof that this is NOT happening.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I read about this today. It is sickening! You know they also pay teachers that can't teach, for various reasons, to sit in a room and watch TV, play games, sleep, etc at full salary? I posted 2 separate links to this story in another post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/22/new-york-teachers-paid-to_n_219336.html

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/08/31/090831fa_fact_brill

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 10:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I think Unions have outlived their usefullness.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Unions are and always have been best for LAZY people.... JMO
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• NYC is a mess and corrupt from top to bottom- why would their schools be any different- that is not the norm in the US-

Come on people- all day people have done nothing but google and pull up bad examples of education-if you look for it-you will find it- try looking for the positive-it may surprise you

Jumping on the bandwagon is easy- forming your own opinions about education and educators based on all sides is a little more challenging- are you all up to it?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Jumping on the bandwagon is easy- forming your own opinions about education and educators based on all sides is a little more challenging- are you all up to it?
    _________________________________
    this IS my opinion. It always has been. I've had bad, bad, bad dealings with unions. My husband is dealing with a union trying to bully their way in to his job right now. No one wants them, yet they won't leave the employees alone, videotaping them and posting pictures of them on youtube-even as they're told NOT to photograph them.

It's not up to me to prove YOUR opinion. You have such wonderful stories, post up.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Down vote all you like- but honestly- you have to admit the bandwagon is getting pretty darn full-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I didn't vote you down. And it's no one's fault that a group of women feel the same way on here. You are, quite happily, on the OTHER bandwagon, you know. Plenty of ladies on that one, and I've taken plenty of down votes for not being pro Union.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree, lovinangels! The union situation has been way out of hand, for a long time, I still say they are nothing more than a bunch of leeches!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 2:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I am a teacher. I work at a private school. I am NOT a member of a union. Being able to NOT be a member of a union is one of the reasons I work at a private school. Unions suck. Why do they think they are above everyone else? I think that education is for the kids. If you aren't doing your job and you suck as a teacher, you should NOT be protected. My husband, my mother, father, brother, sister don't get to say "You are only offering me X amount of a raise and want me to contribute to my own health care? Well then I'll show you!! I'll screw with the kids and their parents and go on strike until you give me what I want!!" I don't understand why unions think they can say this! The economy sucks right now. My DH hasn't gotten a raise in 3 years and we have to pay more into our own health care. Why do unions think that the should get raises and no increases in their cost? (continue)
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• AND if they don't get what they want they threaten to strike. Isn't that being a bully?

When unions were first formed, working conditions were horrible. Agencies such as OSHA and the Department of Labor didn't exist. People were getting paid pennies, working 14 hour days in a job that cost many their lives. But they needed the job and were afraid to get fired. Now we have labor laws and safety laws. The unions saw to that and that is great. But what exactly is their purpose now besides bullying?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2011