I am so upset with my 7 year old...but I am so irritated by her friends parents too. What to do?

My husband and I rarely allow her to have play dates during the week because school and chores come first. But she is 7 so we give her a break here and there during the week. Well today she got out of school at 3 and we thought she could play til 5:30 with her friend. When my husband went to get her they weren't at her friends house. They were at the park. He went there and told them it was ok this one time but please have her home by 7. He also told our daughter that after the park or by 7 she was to go home. Whichever came first. Well, at 8 she was not home. And then 8:30 she finally showed up. I would have gone and picked her up but we are a one car family and my husband left for work at 6. I am not sure how to deal with all of this mess now. My husband says we need to ground her. I agree she should be held accountable but what about the parents? Isn't she still too young to keep her own schedule?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Did she have a watch? She's a kid. He should have taken her home when he was there. Parents have to be responsible even more than seven yr olds. Learn from this but I don't think she should be punished.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I think ur over reacting over when she got home (po) shes & what so important that she had to b home for she has no job to do besides hw and that should have been done before she went
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 10:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Honestly, she's too young. You can have a firm talk with her but at that age, they forget while they are playing. To me, this is totally the other parents' fault.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• p.s. why didn't the friend's mom bring her home? Isn't it dangerous for someone that little to be out that late walking home?

Answer by admckenzie at 10:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• She's 7 years old! The adults in the situation are the ones who should be held accountable. She is not old enough to keep track of time all by herself. If anyone is to blame, it would be her friend's parents who were responsible for getting her home at the designated time. Just how was your DD suppose to get home? She was expected to keep track of time and wlak home? Or what? She's 7 - not 17!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Also, did you "okay" a trip to the park with this friend? I'd be miffed about that one too. I expect my kid to stay at the house where the playdate is.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I think the parents should be held accountable. IMO she's too young to be relied on to tell them she needs to go home when it's time. Unless of course she's very efficient, and can tell time. I don't know if your daughter is mature enough... I would call the Mom, tell her that you were considering grounding her, and ask if she knew she was to be home at 7pm.. Make the Mom feel bad about it, let her know your Daughter is going to be in trouble if in fact it's your Daughters fault she didn't get home on time. Then the balls in her court to apologize for not having her home on time. Just an idea... GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• She is too young to keep her own schedule. Your husband should have brought her home when he found her at the park.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yea, I'd be irritated but did your husband talk with the other parents or just your daughter. There should be clear communication between all the parents involved when kids are so young. Your hubby probably should have just brought her home from the park.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• 7 is too young to be left at a park alone....I would think long and hard before I would allow another play date with this child at their house. Maybe only allow this child to your house from now on. Make sure dd knows how worried and scared you where for her though.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2011