Baby shower question

So I have friends and family all over the country and world actually. I've sent invitations to all my friends, including those I know won't make it to the shower due to living in different states, and 1 lives in Germany. I sent them mainly to say I'm thinking of you, and even though I know you can't make it I wanted to make sure you knew you were invited. None of my friends felt like I was reaching for a gift or being rude, they took it at face value. However, I'm not sure what to do about the extended family. My dad's side is rather large, and relatively distant. I've grown up knowing them, but I see them mostly on thanksgiving and christmas. I knew more of them as a child then actually knowing them. However, they did attend my high school grad party, and my 1st sons baby shower. Last year tragedy struck my family and my cousin was killed instantly in a car accident. This kinda put a halt to the thanksgiving /christmas get together. Therefore, I'm not even sure if my dad's side of the family even knows I'm pregnant. I have not personally told them, maybe my dad or grandparents have. Would you send out invitations to them just because they're family, and it's polite? Or would you just not invite them? I don't want to appear like I'm only asking for a gift, cause that's not the case. On the other hand, I don't want to not invite them, and find out later I offended people. I'm stuck, what would you do?

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Just give the folks you don't see often a telephone call and skip the card...a verbal invitation would mean more and seem less like you're angling for gifts...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:33 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Maybe invite them, but include a nice little note letting them know that you care more about their presence than their presents.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2011