Has anyone used the program baby can read?

I was thinking about buying the program.But, I was afraid of over- stimulating her brain.She is 20 months old..And also I Don't want to waste my money buying a program that does not work..

newbabystarr09

Asked by newbabystarr09 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's a waste. Sure they can learn to read - kids are sponges, but there are a lot better things to spend your time on at this point, age appropriate things like colors, numbers, letters. That program doesn't teach them the letters or the sounds they make, it teaches them to memorize words. So they may learn "clap", but then if they come across "clam" they can't sound it out because they don't know the "m" sound. Phonics is a much better way to teach reading, and you do that by teaching them the letters and then the sounds they make and then putting them together. Focus on the basics, reading will come when it should.

Answer by missanc at 9:21 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I personally think it is a waste. My kids all could read by Kindergarten and we never used a program. We read to them from birth, played games with them and taught them using the things around us. I know a few who have bought into this like they bought into the Baby Einstein Videos they were very disappointed.
    Anonymous

• Its a good program. I have it. I started using it when my DD was about 9 months. I would just work short sessions with her. Now she is 13 months.... She is not saying the words yet but knows what the words are. She gets so excited when I put the video in. She loves it and it defintely works if you work on it regular and consistently.
    AshellG27

Answer by AshellG27 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2011