HELP! My 6 month old only weighs 11lbs...

I had a healthy pregnancy that went full term. My baby was born at 6lbs. These whole 6 months it has been such a fuss with my baby, it is like it never wants to eat. I do not force the baby to eat, once it has had enough I stop. It usually tells me it is done by refusing the bottle. The baby only eats about 3-4 ounces of formula every 3 hours. And 2 months ago I introduced rice and baby food and it will not eat it either. The baby is completely healthy but I am always in a fight with the doctors and nutrionist because I am not getting her to eat enough. I am sad and stressed. What can I do to get my baby to eat? I am afraid the lack of food will have long term health effects.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree, mix the cereal with some fruit. Your baby doesn't sound terribly underweight at this point. If she's happy, then just take a deep breath and keep trying what you can.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• whats the fuzz about she is supposed to double by 6 mts and triple by a years. so if she was 6lbs at birth she should be around 12 lbs now and then 18lbs at 12 mts. is she hitting milestones. does she look happy to you?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Maybe get a second opinion... Different Doctors have different approaches so maybe try that.. I hope you find something that works, and I'm sorry I couldn't offer more advice....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• have you tried starting her with some juice or some babyfood yet? my kids hated rice cereal and the only way i could get them to eat it was to mix in some babyfood.
    i know at that age both my kids were on baby foods and drinking about 6 ozs of formula.
    your baby might just be a petite baby. as long as the baby is thriving, growing, and having plenty of dirty diapers, reaching milestones and at least not losing any weight that is a good sign.
    i might think about getting another docs opinion.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes she is happy and meeting everything
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• also what percentile is the baby in? as long as the baby isnt too low in the percentile there is no reason to worry.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2011