Im gonna be that parent.........

*Im sure there will be bashing oh well*

Im gonna be that mom other parents hate b/c my son will be able to have who ever over for how ever long and Im ok with that.......my 2 nephews who have lived with me one at 16 and the other at 17-18 say ill be the cool mom and my house will be that house that all the kids wanna hang out at (that was def our house when they lived with us always full of kids).........my husband well he could care less eaither way as long as he still has dinner on the table everynight lol......

So my question is are you/will you be that kind of mom where your kids friends always welcome no matter what?

myboysRmyhero

Asked by myboysRmyhero at 10:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'm like that too. I have never asked anyone to leave my house, and I never will. If my kids friends want to come over and crash, they are more than allowed to. I don't see any reason to put all kinds of rules or limits on kids. My goal as a parent is to raise my kids to be decent, successful adults, not to keep them in a bubble. Do you think they are going to keep mom's time limits on friends visits when they have their own place? Nope. My home is the best place for them to experiment with life, because it's safe. If something happens or makes them unhappy, I'm still there to bolster them. If I force them to live the way I wish they would they are simply going to go out in to the real world and get in to trouble as an adult. It's like it's better to practice with a safety net... Well, I am that safety net for my kids - because adult life can be quite the tightrope walk!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I am very strict and have rules and limits my kids friends are at my house every chance they can get. They tell me I am the cool mom even when I say no. Kids like limits and rules it does prepare them for adulthood. To each their own.
    Anonymous

• If they dont mind stepping over me, fine. lol,,,I have older teens, just wait. I am the cool mom passed out from exhaustion on the couch, dont mind me. :)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I will do as my mom did for us. She was the mom that all our friends went to and always made sure we had fun at our house but she set boundries for us all. We had a curfew and had to make sure that whoever was staying over called their parents to let them know what we were going to be doing and all that. I enjoyed growing up like that and hope that I can be like her.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I WAS that mom. My kids are grown now. But, ALL my kids friends came to hang out at our house. They knew it was a fun and safe place to come and talk. I figure as long as kids are communicating with a responsible adult, they will be just fine. A lot of them didn't feel comfortable talking to their parents about certain things. They knew they could talk to me. So, yeah, I was the cool mom. :-)
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• To a degree. I need some quiet time so that I stay sane, but I think it's important to be the place where my own kid is hanging out, so I somewhat stay in the loop, and if that means the friends are over to make that happen, it's okay by me.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Hoping so.. In the "right" way..
    There are the "cool" parents that over look the sex, drugs & drinking going on.. or may even participate.. Im not interested in being "that mom"..
    But Id love to be the hang out spot where they can hang out. listen to music. watch movies. video games. whatever...(if it was a girls night only sleep over i may over look a few winecoolers missing from the fridge though)..

I can only hope & try my best that I raise kids that are not interested in the drug/sex scene & they are happy & comfortable to bring their friends to our home for their hang-out spot! I will try my best to be a good mom. but also to have the "BFF- open conversation" Factor...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My childrens friends will always be welcome in my home and are made to feel at home.

That said I don't want to my the cool mom.

studentteach

Answer by studentteach at 11:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You're going to be "that parent" that no other parents wants their kids to go to their house....because you will allow them to do things they should not be doing. Better hope you dont get caught for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• op, I fully understand where you are coming from and it does not necessarily mean they will be doing things they shouldn't, it means you care enough to know where your kid is and what they are doing.

Answer by older at 7:33 AM on Mar. 10, 2011