Is this a good idea?

My mother is having some troubles with my 9 year old brother and it's stressing her out....she joked with me that she might send him to live with me for a little while...we live in a different city so he would have to switch schools but one of the problems is that he is constantly getting into fights at school (my mother, father and the rest of my brothers and sister are black and he is white and the kids talk about him and tease him...he was placed in her home as an emergency placement when he was 8 months old and my mother fell in love with him and decided to adopt him once he had been with us for a year) Anyways my mom is now serious and is ready to have him live with me for a bit....I talked to DH and he doesnt have a problem with this, but now I'm starting to wonder if I can handle a 9 yr old boy plus my 4 yr old daughter, plus Im due in June.....I'm not sure anymore...I definatly want to help my mother out but....I guess I'm just wondering if I can....do it lol I'm confused and a little nervous. Any suggestions on how to handle a 9 yr old who fights? PLEASE NO BASHING

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't know how to handle a 9yr old but it might not be such a bad idea for him to be with someone other than a parent for a little while. Maybe someone he can talk with and open up to about why he's fighting with these kids so much, maybe him being teased isn't the only reason. Even being in a new school might not be so bad he can get a fresh start. Good luck I really hope everything works out for the best!
    lil_shannie

Answer by lil_shannie at 11:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Can you just do it in a respite-type manner first? Ask him to come stay with you for a week or two, see how things flow. That way it's not so terribly permanent right off the bat. If it's relatively smooth (no transition will be bump-free) and it's working out okay for everyone, take it to the next level. If not, he's really your mom's responsibilty.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• He may think hes just being pass around and think No one wants him..it just might make things worse..Good luck to you and your mother.
    newbabystarr09

Answer by newbabystarr09 at 12:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I know you hate to tell your mother no. But it's really up to you and your husband on what you want to do. You could let him temporarily stay for a few weeks, but tell your mother that since you are handling a family on your end and the fact that you are due in June that if would only be temporary. That way when the new baby comes, you can focus on your family.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:45 AM on Mar. 10, 2011