What was it like for you...

the first time your child got a bad booboo?

My ds had his first trip to the ER last night after bumping his head on the ottoman, turns out it was just a bad goose egg, and he did AMAZING! Way better than myself who was having a nervous breakdown the whole way trying to keep him awake because he loves to go to sleep in the car, thank GOD it wasn't a broken nose or concussion!

jspenny2705

Asked by jspenny2705 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry! Hope he is doing much better. Sometimes going to the hospital is more nerve racking for parents than the children! My daughters first big boo boo was when she was playing with that musical thing that attaches to the side of their crib and she knocked on herself and it hit her eye! I felt so bad even though she seemed to respond well I had her in doctors office right away!
    lil_shannie

Answer by lil_shannie at 11:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• AWWW..... poor baby!  My son hasn't yet had to go to the ER or doctor for a bad booboo.  And I hope it never happens! 

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• The First time my oldest daughter was three. She was jumping off the her head board (it was a six inch deep shelf/headboard) onto the mattress. She slipped before she could jump and cracked the back of her head on the edge of the shelf. She was bleeding everywhere. We rushed to the emergency room.....and waited for almost two hours to be seen for a cut that was so small it didn't even need stitches. I was so embarrassed.

studentteach

Answer by studentteach at 11:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I havent had to go to the ER from a bad booboo yet but I've had to go 3 times because of asthma attacks and I was absolutly terrified each time....asthma is no joke and I still can't figure out what triggered her attacks...very scary
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• We've been pretty lucky on the injury side of things. We have 5 kids and so far only 1 ER trip and that was when I accidentally dislocated my son's elbow when he was 2 1/2. There was also 1 trip to urgent care when my middle daughter stepped on glass in our yard and sliced her foot open. Ended up not even needing stitches. We can't afford the ER ($100 copay ONLY if it is a true emergency...like life or death otherwise they only pay 80%) so we avoid it and the urgent care is in another city. I don't freak out over injuries, though. My youngest dd fell down the basement stairs just before she turned 2 and busted her face all up but she was fine so we didn't go to a doctor. She was more mad than hurt. Accidents happen.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:16 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My son tried playing like he was a ballerina!!! I told him if he did not stop he was going to hit his head on the coffee table and had to have stiiches. He never cried once!!! The younger son was in his paypen and I thought I got it completely cleaned out and evidently he found a small part of a bandaid, put it in his mouth and couldn't breath. I tried using the hymlick manuvear on him and it didn't work so we had to take him to the er and on the ride to the er as long as he was laying across my lap on his stoomach he could breathe but as soon as I helled him up straight he could not breathe again and started turning blue. I tried the manuver one more time and of course as soon as we got to the er he was fine. They went ahead and did a chest x-ray just to make sure it wasn't in his lungs but he was fine!!!
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 7:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2011