Thinking of trying yoga? Does it work for muscle strength?

I used to work out at a gym and LOVED it and mixed weight training with aerobics and it seemed to work. Now I don't have weights at home and dont live near a gym anymore so was thinking of mixing my aerobic videos or elliptical with yoga for strength. Does it help build muscle. Not like bulk but toning.

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 11:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You should also incorporate home exercises, like pushups, squats, lunges, etc. Those will really help you tone the way that weights would. You don't necessarily need weights to do some resistance work. You can also get resistance bands and/or and exercise ball to really help widen your options, and they both cheap.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:56 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It is super good for toning...but I hate it. The slow breathing and slow moving irritate the #$*& out of me!
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 11:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• yes it will...
    I loved yoga when i was smaller. Just 1-2 times with the dvd i had i noticed my breathing was better. stood straighter. felt stronger.
    It has to be the "right" dvd though. some are very slow & almost put me to sleep (pilates) so i have a few dvds that collected dust. I enjoyed denise austins yoga dvds.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Thanks, MommaTasha. That was my next question is which program is good. I dont' own any yoga DVDs but I downloaded a book for my kindle that has a timer and shows 25 different positions that the reviews said are good for beginners.
    huntin_mama

Comment by huntin_mama (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yesss! I works all of the smaller muscles you would never be able to target with just weight training or cardio. P90X has a great fast paced work out
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 11:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• yes ,practice and follow instructions ...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It sure does =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think it really depends on what your goal is for your muscles. I do yoga as part of my fitness routine, but I find that it does NOT produce the kind of results I'm looking for regarding strength. I still work out with weights for that. Yoga helps a lot with flexibility and balance, and that's why I do it, even though I don't really like it.
    If your goal is to build muscle and really gain some strength, you'll likely need something more intense than yoga. If you are just looking to gain a little strength and perhaps tone up a bit, then yoga may be right for you. Just my 2 cents...good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I ordered 2 yoga videos. One called "Yoga for EveryBody" which had good reviews and seemed to be one that I could progress with. I also got "Power Yoga for EveryBody" which is produced by same people but is power yoga instead of traditional yoga which from what I understand is more flowing and therefore offering a harder workout.
    huntin_mama

Comment by huntin_mama (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Maybe I need to get me some yoga dvds too
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2011