Does a root canal hurt?

Does a root canal hurt really bad or can they numb you up like they do for a filling?

michellelvs4

Asked by michellelvs4 at 11:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Health

• I haven't had a root canal but I have had teeth pulled and they put me under for it. Different dentist like to do it differently some only want to give you novacaine which is the shot in your mouth and some don't mind putting you under for something like that. Call ahead and talk to them about what method you can take.
    lil_shannie

Answer by lil_shannie at 11:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I just had a root canal about 3 months ago. The only pain you feel is when they give you a shot to numb the area around your tooth. That wasn't even bad, the worst part is the fear of the unknown but seriously it doesn't hurt at all! GL
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes, it's painful and they absolutely must numb you up. They open it up and use little files to get down to the end of the root, this varies depending on the tooth.. This is so you will no longer feel pain however, while working on it, it's irritated and sore and needs meds for a few days to get back to normal.

Hope this helps.
    http://www.simplestepsdental.com/SS/ihtSS/r.==/st.31927/t.32633/pr.3.html
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 11:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• YES!!!  I've only had novocaine for root canals, and only been put under anesthesia for surgical extractions (not all extractions are surgical).  With each root canal I've had, I'm telling you I felt the whole thing!  I am very difficult to numb,they give me enough to knock out an elephant.  But even with lots and lots of novocaine, I still felt the root canal.  Weirdest feeling ever.  This long metal thing going up and down, up and down, into the root.  *shudders violently*

With lots and lots of novocaine, I never felt a tooth being pulled, it never hurt (uncomfortable only).  If you can get sedation for the root canal, do it!  Even the nitrous didn't help me.  And btw, I am NOT a baby when it comes to pain.  I have a great tolerance, but root canal just about killed me.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Wow, you guys must of had some bad dentists. I went to work right after mine and needed NO pain relief. Your numb, how the hell did you feel pain during the root canal?
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• fingers crossedCookie, u will have that girl so scared thatby the time she goes and sees the dentist, shes will have already worked herself up to the point when she sees the needle, she s gonna pass out cold!! lol But honestly, just tell u your dentist that you are the biggest wimp this side of the Mississippi, and they normally work with ya. Mine did and he put me out, still numbed my mouth to the point when I tried to talk I sounded like I just got done putting back a few Long Island Iced Tea's!

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I didn't feel a thing but I do agree that it was the fear of not knowing. To be fair, some people who metabolize stuff fast are a tad difficult to numb....for example: an exercise fanatic might be harder to numb. Anyway, just make sure whoever the doc is, that he's a good one.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:21 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have never felt anything when they did a root canal or any other work and I have all but my front 5 teeth pulled
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Michigan Mom:  She asked, I gave my answer. 

I had root canals with different dentists.  Not all were bad dentists.  I was numb, apparently not numb enough or it didn't numb down deep enough.  There was no pain after.  I have a high tolerance to pain.

And Kathy, your numb what? 

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 12:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2011