Healthy side dishes?

I'm trying to feed my family (ie hubby) healthier. Problem is, hubby hates everything healthy. He doesn't like cooked veggies, rice, baked potatoes, salad..

We normally have some sort of Lipton noodles type dish and a fresh veggie tray (then cooked veggies for DD and myself), but I'm aware that lipton noodles aren't that healthy and I'm tired of sliced green peppers and carrots with every meal! Any ideas??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• scalloped potatoes, greenbeen caserole, shepards pie,
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 11:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Steam Green beans, for flavor add some Parmesan cheese, with a little olive oil, and salt and pepper. Same for any other veggies, like broc, and cauliflower, and carrots, but steam them in about 1/2 cup of low sodium chicken broth, that adds more flavor than water.

I also use whole grain noodles, and you could mix some stir fry veggies with it, with the parm cheese and olive oil, and salt and pepper, and a little fresh garlic, basil, and parsley... Grill some chicken breast and you'll have a very healthy meal.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• o and you can cook regular meals and cut up some veggies very small and sneak it in. lol like a baby.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 11:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• He really won't eat ANY cooked veggies. It doesn't matter how they are cooked or what is on them. I made spaghetti tonight and he picked out the veggies in the sauce..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• my dh was like that too, until I started shopping at the Farmer's Market. The taste of veggies that were not forced to ripen with gasses is amazing! I made him eat a green bean that I had just steamed until tender and added a little butter to, and he was shocked, he said it didnt taste like any green bean he had ever had. You can also try a garden and get him into helping you, it is really much better tasting when fruits and vegetables are allowed to ripen naturally, and are actually ripe when you eat them
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 5:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Puree veggies then add to the meal.. cant pick them out that way!! Check out jessica sienfield's book Deceptively Delicious.. made to hide veggies into food for kids, but I guess it works for husbands too!
    ChristineJarman

Answer by ChristineJarman at 10:05 AM on Mar. 11, 2011