What are some good tricks to get your child to potty train..... so far ive had no luck....she will be 3 in a month, and the diapers have to end!!!!

Aimes85

Asked by Aimes85 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 1) Get rid of Pull Ups except for bedtime.

2) Be prepared for accidents and as frustrating as they are DO NOT get upset.

3) have a small potty in the kitchen or living room or where ever you generally hang out as a family. Most of the time, kids just don't want to stop watching their movie or playing their game to go pee. So make it easy for them, and in turn it will be easy for you

4) have a star chart. Everytime they use the potty - and actually go - they get to put a star on the chart. Then after 5stars they get to pic a prize from the dollar store, or they get a treat like a milkshake, or lollipop

5) just keep trying. When you have to leave the house, make sure you have a bag packed with several extra pairs of underwear and pants...socks to as pee will run down their legs and wet their socks. *** Until you make some progress, you might want to use pull-ups for outings.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 12:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Consistency, unfortunately, is about it. Have you tried to buy her some fancy big girl panties? Back, 25, years ago when potty training my first, they used to make these really fancy silky sets for little girls... little frills on the panties. I think I've seen them online. That's what finally worked for my daughter. Let me see if I can find a link.... Here's a pair on eBay: Pettiskirt Panties

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I tried most tricks.. let her go with just pull ups and show her how to do it.. tried the underwear kids don't like wet undies trick... all those.. they didn't work.

So the week after my daughters third birthday I had some time off because I just had my second daughter.. I let her go bottomless (no undies, no pull ups, no pants, just a bare bottom). and I had her sit on her potty. She sat there (we played little games, and I had the potty in the living room so she could watch some tv and wasn't bored) until she went potty. Then I gave her 30 mins to play the first time, and had her sit back on the potty. The second time after she went she got an hour to play, and then back on the potty, and the rest of the day went like that.. go potty, play an hour then sit on potty. for day one (at night time and naps we went to pull ups to prevent accidents)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• day two.. we started like we ended.. sit on potty, go potty, play an hour, sit back on potty.. then half way through the day when I felt comfortable that she could figure it out.. I let her decide when she had to go potty.. and she did.
    so for the rest of the week we went bare bottom and I let her go potty by herself. After 5 days we decided to try with just panties.. and she did good for that day, so the next day we went to panties and pants.. and she did great again..

so she is completely potty trained in the day time now (2 1/2 months later) even during naps.. we are still working on nights because she's a heavy sleeper, but I couldn't believe how easy doing it this way was.. and she only had 2 accidents the entire time (one was when we tried bed time potty training).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:14 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• it takes about a week this way, but it's better than doing it slowly for months, especially when they hit 3 and start to get desperate. lol.
    we also watched elmos potty movie the first day to help make it fun ;).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:16 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• oh.. for days we go out, I still have her wear pull ups to prevent accidents in the car for when we just can't get to a bathroom fast enough.. but shes to the point where she now holds it until we get there.. but the first time or two you might want to make sure he/she is prepared for a just in case accident.. and ask during the trip, "do you have to go potty".. so they know that they can go other places as well..
    walmart sells pack up potty seats that fold up to fit on toilets to make potty traveling easy too :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:19 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• consistancy is the key; ask them every hour(even every half hour) during the day if they have to go potty, let them pick out some undies in their favorite character and tell them that they cannot soil them because then you will have to bleach them and that would ruin them.  Give them something to concentrate on when sitting on the potty and I have a potty training CD that Huggies sent me that my son loved watching and it helped him

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I first list of 5 things to do it perfect. however, with my kids, they tended to get lazy and just pee wherever they were. When they did, they were put in time out. And one time, she pooped in her panties - oh no......Now I have twins and this went 2 different ways. With Ava, I made her stand in the bathtub, holding her poopy panties, and rinse them herself. Potty trasining DONE. with Isabel, I bought her some new panties, and when she pooped in them, I made her throw her "precious new panties" in the trash. She didn't like.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I used a timer and put my son on the potty every 45 minutes. If he went, we celebrated (or got a treat, whatever). If not, we tried again every 10 minutes until he either peeded or had an accident. I let him go bare-bottomed as that seemed to increase the odds of him peeing in the potty (no hassle of pants). Took about 48 hrs to get him to the point where he'd pee in the potty most of the time. However, it took close to 4 months for him to know when he had to go. Until that time, I just took him regularly (at progressively longer intervales). Before we started potty training, we had him sit on the potty once during the same and at least try. That way, by the time we got started, he was comfortable sitting on the potty and had the basic idea of peeing in it. I continued to use pullups at night and if we were going out where a toilet wasn't readily available.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• You can do all the tricks you want she's going to do it when shes good and ready! Just keep encouraging her and she'll get it. It should be soon.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2011