Is learning to swim difficult? How long do it normally take to learn how to swim?

I have always had this recurring dream as far back as I can remember that I fell off a boat and drowned. My therapist suggest I face my issues head on and take a class. Would you do it if it was you?

dubewife

Asked by dubewife at 12:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I can swim and I still have an intense fear of drowning.  In my experience, I DID feel better that at least I had a CHANCE to survive if I fell into water.  It wasn't hard to learn how to tread water enough to stay afloat babe.  I say if your up for it, go for it!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think everyone should learn how to swim, at least learn how to tread water. I love water, have since I was a child. Life guarded for several years. My DS is 5 and can swim, jumps off diving boards into 12 feet of water without any flotation devices. I can totally understand the fear of water, it can be dangerous, but it also can be so much fun. If your up for it I think you should at least give the class a chance. As an adult, if you can touch, and an instructor is near, you're not going to drown. Not in that controlled environment
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i can't swim either. i'm just too embarassed to take lessons. But i really wish i could. I would really hate it if somehow, one of my kids were drowning & i would fail at saving them cause I'd be drowning myself.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 12:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Sure. I think its a good idea to know how to swim. I mean, you dont have to know different strokes, but it might give you some confidence if you did. At the very least, you should know how to float and do a front crawl (is that what its called?).
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 12:43 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My mom learned when she was in her 40s, and she had such a sense of accomplishment on her face after the swam her first pool length. It's never too late!

At the very least, learn how to float and tread water. Hire a personal instructor, so you don't have to deal with a bunch of other people all fearing their own water demons! (Call your local pool and ask for a list of instructors that give private lessons).

Have fun!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I'm not sure if it's difficult, I was really young when I learned how to swim. one of my greatest fears in drowning as well, and I won't go on a boat unless I can swim to shore.. (I'm the odd ball in the family, my parents own a boating business and are in the yacht club and my brother also owns a boat and works for them, lololol, go figure).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• but yes I would learn to swim if I were you for your kids sakes if nothing else.
    xxhazeldovexx

• Sure!! My 8 yr old twin grandsons are taking lessons and so is their sister and she is 5. My other grandson started just after he was1 yr old!!! Good Luck and just remember you're better off knowing how than not knowing how!!!
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It took me a few weeks , I learned as a child tho.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 8:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• When you work onnit regularly it won't take long. Go to the YMCA
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 12:43 AM on Mar. 13, 2011