Teacher's past of working in the porn industry keeps coming back to haunt her...

Would this bother you if this were your child's teacher, or do you think there is anything wrong with it... should she even be in this field?

http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=14222756

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 12:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not sure how i feel about this? What grade did she teach, maybe i missed that somewhere?

And it mostly depends on her job and influence in the classroom. If she is a great teacher, and the teaches the students to be respectful and kind, then how is she different from any other other good teacher with skeletons in the closet? If she's a crappy teacher, then i would think she has low morals & values (but you don't have to be a former porn star for that).

If she taught elementary, there's no reason those kids should find out about her past, therefore it should not comprimise her teaching ability in the classroom. And if the parents are uncomfortable, the need to get over it.

But, if she taught high school, that could comprimise her ability to teach withut distraction in the classroom, as teens have ways of finding it out. You don't have to look at porn...you can google. High school i would have a problem with.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• That's why you shouldn't do that type of crap, it comes back to bite you in the a**. She shouldn't be surprised that parents would have a problem with it.
    ss1436

Answer by ss1436 at 12:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Unless you want all teachers to be kept in insulated bubbles from childhood, they're human. She had a previous, legal, career. Why would i object to that, some teachers are religious, some are not. Some people have differing views on politics to me, and some work in the sex industry.
    I don't see why this is even an issue. People have sex, people watch porn. There is nothing wrong or dirty about sex / porn...

Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• That was in the 90's and she made a decision that was right for her at the time. She's no longer a porn star so who cares? We have teachers out there who sexually molest their students, have child porn on their computer etc. Let her teach, I'd rather her than some of these other morons. She's trying to work a decent profession, but unfortunately her mistakes, if it is, are coming back to haunt her.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I had a teacher who was a former Playboy model. Word spread, and at one point, another student found her issue in his dad's collection. It made the rounds at school, and there was a definite change in tone after that. She was treated like a joke. I don't think the school ever caught wind of it, or if they did, they kept anything they did about it behind closed doors, but as far as I know, she's still teaching in the district.

I can't blame the teacher, especially if they don't bring it into the classroom, but that doesn't mean nobody will ever find out, and if they do, they have to be prepared that some parents/admin would find it in appropriate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I believe in redemption. I believe people can change. And she certainly did better with her life. She doesn't deserve a Scarlett Letter for this.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Really odd that she was suspended over something not illegal that she did 10 years previously- but as others say we sometimes make choices that bite us in the butt. I am not sure all of this is fair- I mean you make a mistake (a legal one) and you can never get past it- what does that say to people that are struggling? As far people recognizing her from her films-well if they are watching porn, how can they judge the people in the movies- that makes no sense-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:32 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• As long as she is teaching and do a good job at that ... It's in her past ... I don't care.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• As long as she's not teaching Sex Ed!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Having sex on camera doesn't make anyone less qualified to educate or do any other job. There are teachers who have done nothing but teach their whole lives that I wouldn't want around my kids simply cause they're jerks or bad at their job. Why would anyone care about something like this that really doesn't matter? It's not like your kids are watching her in porn.... Unless of course your kids are watching porn cause you aren't supervising them. I don't care anymore about a teacher having done porn than I do about a plumber who previously sold Tupperware. It just doesn't matter.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 1:09 AM on Mar. 10, 2011