My son is 9 yrs and has decided to not pay attention in class and ignore the smallest of requests (like doing homework). I've taken away tv and video games but he is still acting up...ideas?

ssharrigan

Asked by ssharrigan at 12:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'd ask him what he thought was more important than paying attention and doing homework? Sometimes if we listen to why they do what they do we can figure out how to get them back on track. He's acting up now bc he's angry. I'm guessing he has no coping skills for anger. Maybe you should use this opportunity to teach him such skills. I hope you put a limit on the tv and video game kidnapping. Some kids worry it might be forever. Give him a time frame so he can understand it's not forever and he can earn his privileges back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• He just replies with "I don't know"
    ssharrigan

Comment by ssharrigan (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Maybe is having eye problems and is embarrassed to tell you this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• maybe have him see a counceler.. to discuss this with.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:59 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I;ve had this same thing with my 9 year old; what we have come to the conclusion(with the help of his teacher) is when he gets home from school he can have a snack, then he has to sit down and do his homework(or do it on the computer if necessary then we eat dinner then he reads or watches a little TV for half an hour and then its bedtime.  I have found that if we stick to this routine(which we have for about a month and a half now) that he is more willing to do things he knows needs to be done and less time giving me grieve  You may try talking to his teacher and if you get no where with that then talk to the school counselor also if he is having trouble seeing the blackboard and such I would get his eyes checked

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:33 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i have the samething with my SD 11 we make her get her assignment book signed by the teacher nightly and we have to sign it for the teacher (shes the only one in class to have to do this) if she doesnt bring it home filled out correctly and signed to tv or snack that night (she would die without snacks lol) We also have been in contact with her math teacher and i asked her to send home practice worksheets for her to do but not for a grade so she sent home a 10pg packet and is working on another one. Shes on punishment with me till her dad gets home nightly cause of her grades i make her do her homework then extra worksheets till dinner no playing or tv.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 3:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree with "christmaslver68" We did this with my girls also... BUT, Consistancey on your part is vital for it to work... If you only do this off and and on it will never be an established routine...Once it is part of their day they automatically just do it without asking... My oldest is a Senior and My youngest is in 8th grade, they both still come home each day after comp.cheer practice, grab something to eat and immediately start thier homework and this was started in 2nd grade... another big key is to make it unstressful for you & your son, make it a postive time of the day and not get angry with him or he will rebel... parenting is such a trial and error process each child responds differently ... I hope with all these posts you can pull out bits and pieces that will help you...
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 8:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2011