What age do they go from a crib to a toddler bed?

My child has a Convertible Baby Crib..That turns from crib to toddler bed to day bed..She is 20 months old..She will be 2 years old June 20th..Is it just something I will know when she is ready? or a age? She at this time( knock on wood) does not try to climb out of her crib..Thank God LOL

newbabystarr09

Asked by newbabystarr09 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've heard a huge range of ages, so it probably depends on the child (their height and desire to climb out) and how low the crib mattress goes. We have Baby's Dream furniture, and we converted my son's crib to the toddler bed shortly after he turned 2. The crib mattress is pretty low though, so I know some people have had to make the change sooner if their crib's mattress didn't have as low of a setting and their child was climbing out. He was really excited about the bed but he was also excited to discover that he could get up and do whatever he wanted in his room, so it took a while to get him to take naps again (a couple months) and stay in bed, but at 33 months old he's much better about it now and takes naps most days. I just kept encouraging quiet time during the day hoping he'd eventually sleep again if he needed it and tried to be patient about him getting over the novelty of the 'new' bed.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My son started trying to climb into his crib when he was 15 months old. I figured it was more dangerous to have him fall while trying to climb than wander around his room at night. He loved the transition. It took a few nights of going in there and tucking him back into bed...a lot...but he eventually got used to it.

I think it depends on your kid. If it poses no danger, then by all means keep them secure in the crib! They're going to have plenty of time to sleep in the big bed. :)
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:49 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We did it around 18 months. We just knew it was time. He wasn't climbing out-in fact, it's been a year, and he still doesn't get out of bed once he's in, unless we say it's okay! I'm amazed!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My son went to a bed at 2.5 years only because we needed it for our second child. He was happy in it and would have left him in there longer if we didn't need it. Our second started climbing out of the crib at 19 months so we got him a bed. Each child is different.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My DD moved at 26 months. She learned to climb out of her crib and never slept in it again.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We decided it was time for our little man around 20mos. We got him a firetruck bed for Christmas (adorable =] ) and he started sleeping in it Christmas night, he did sooo well!
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I personally think, when they are either obviously getting too big for it or when it gets to the point where they can get in & out on their own. But 2 seems to be a good age.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• two is a good age and I would get one of those Dora stools for her to stand on when getting in and out of bed. I think she will like the independence.
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• my son was about 1 and half when he was out of his crib, but that was because he was trying to climb out (even though short for his age) so we then transfered it to the day bed and put up a guard rail so he wouldn't fall out. When he turned two we put him in a regualr size bed like i think it is a twin now but still with a Guard rail on it
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• She is so short.. I guess that is why she don't try to climb out of her crib..She can't even climb up on the sofa yet without help..But, she can get down..I still help her with that a little
    newbabystarr09

Comment by newbabystarr09 (original poster) at 1:53 AM on Mar. 10, 2011