How early is too early? adult content

Have you all heard yet about the NHS official who said premature babies born @ 23 weeks or less should just be left to die? Her reasoning is that so few of them survive and of those who do survive, most of them are disabled. Wow. She wins the "cold, heartless wench" award from me.... but that's just my opinion.
I don't think there is ever an age where they are just too early to be helped. We should at least TRY to help them. Who can just throw a baby away like garbage? What does that say about a society, when they can just abandon an infant because they don't see it's life as valid?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 1:00 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow, now that takes the cake. The woman is a mental case. I really don't think that would go over well with the parents or the Dr.. I'm sure the progressive left would just as soon do away with the Dr's creed of First do no harm but Dr's won't. This health care bill is nothing but trouble and I hope more people begin to see it, and soon!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Wow, really! I haven't heard but it pisses me off! This is a human life regardless of age and to be so cold and uncaring blows my mind away!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• the patents have chosen. Most parents in hard places understand that it is a long shot but they hope for a miricle because they already love that baby and couldn't live without knowing they tried all that was medically available to them.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:50 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree, it is a terrible situation for everyone involved. So sad:(
    ss1436

Answer by ss1436 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I agree... Socialized medicine is impersonal, all emotion is removed, whatever saves the GVT $$$, is what is logical and will be done, you know, for the greater good of the collective... Progressives are not all about helping everybody, they are all about helping themselves to all the finer things, in their elitist lifestyles.

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 2:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• There is a point where the baby is just too underdeveloped to be helped. She's right about that. And to me, to try to help an infant that you KNOW is not going to survive, despite any interventions, and to rack up medical bills that insurance may or may not cover and leave the parents with those bills but no baby, and to give those parents false hope when you KNOW that baby won't survive...that is wrong.

Now, at what point in the pregnancy the baby goes from too underdeveloped to be helped to being at the point where they might be saved...that's not something I can say. And in a situation where they know the baby can't be helped, they should certainly do what they can to ensure the baby's comfort as much as possible.

I understand how it can be seen as heartless. But I also can see the other side.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Dr Daphne Austin said that despite millions being spent on specialised treatments, very few of these children survive as their tiny bodies are too underdeveloped.

She claimed keeping them alive is only ‘prolonging their agony’, and it would be better to invest the money in care for cancer sufferers or the disabled.

Dr Austin, who advises local health trusts how to spend their budgets, said doctors were ‘doing more harm than good by resuscitating 23-weekers’ and that treatments have ‘very marginal benefit’.

The NHS spends around £10million a year resuscitating babies born this early and keeping them alive on incubators and ventilators.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• But despite round-the-clock care from teams of experienced doctors and nurses, just 9 per cent leave hospital – the rest die. And only one in 100 grows up without some form of disability. The most common include blindness, deafness and cerebral palsy.

Guidelines state that doctors should not try to resuscitate babies born under 22 weeks, as they are too underdeveloped, but those born between 22 and 25 weeks should routinely be given intensive care.

sweet-a-kins

• The legal limit for abortion is 24 weeks. Dr Austin said that the care given to such tiny infants should be weighed up in the same way as the NHS decides whether or not to fund treatment for dying cancer patients.

‘We are doing more harm than good by resuscitating 23-weekers. I can’t think of very many interventions that have such poor outcomes.

I would prefer to free up that money to spend on providing support to people who have much more lifelong chronic conditions.’

Dr Austin, who did her medical training in New Zealand, does not work on a neonatal unit but acts as a consultant for the West Midlands Specialised Commissioning team, advising what treatments and care should be funded in the region

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Progressives are not all about helping everybody, they are all about helping themselves to all the finer things, in their elitist lifestyles.
    ___________________
    Pssshhhht! Come on! lol that is so ridiculous. I'm gonna go with "Conservatives are not all about helping everybody, they are all about helping themselves to all the finer things, in their elitist lifestyles." It's a lot more fitting for one. lol And number 2, why start the morning with such venomous arguments? I am a progressive, do you REALLY think I am helping myself to the finer things, and forget about the babies? No wonder nothing can ever get talked about in these threads.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 10, 2011