Buying a pet for your kids?

i was in a birthing class today with my hubby and there were 5 other couples there, we ended up talking about when we'd buy our kids their first pet and what it would be, everyone said a fish, except for the "unique" couple they said the first pet they would get their child is a rat, i have nothing against rats i think their cute the tails freak me out though, but they said they would get their child a rat at the age of 5 or 6, i think 5 or 6 is to young to have a pet like that....it can bite or get the child sick or something like that

what would you guys get your kids for their first pet to take care of on their own or attempt to take care of? i mean something that can be kept in their room btw

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Hamster or rabbit. Do know though that you will end up taking care of this pet.. I remember I had a cat when I was a kid but I tell you what, I am definitely a better keeper than back then. My Mom was the one always feeding him, etc. We just played with him mostly. Maybe if you trade on and off duty with the animal with your child, eventually leading them to keeping up with their pet on their own, it will ease them into taking care of their pet on their own.. ? Just a thought... kids have no concept of responsibility and usually when they see you doing it too with them, they are more willing to join in esp if they wanted the pet.
    soulmeetsbody19

Answer by soulmeetsbody19 at 1:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i'm not sure if our family dog counts.. but we have a dog. =)

we also got them a parrot but it was not kept in their room. i think an appropriate room pet for a first timer would be a fish or turtle that they aren't allowed to touch. hamsters & bunnies & rats bite.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• a chia (plant-pet) LOL
    a zoo zoo pet ( with batteries)
    or a stuffed animal......lol
    BETTER QUESTION IS : what type of pet is momma ready to add to the chore list??? poop times comes clean up (dog & cat)
    rats DO carry diseases even out of a pet store. Hamster stink, and do bite.

that is a good question though.... I had 18 gold fish, ( yeah cleaning the tank ), 1 cat, 4 kittens (down to 1 finally) and then a dog.... on top of a 3& 5 yr old... best of luck momma
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• We dont have pets. Used to have cats but found son is allergic...cats were mine anyhow. So no, no pets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My son is 3 and has fish. He even named one himself. His name is "Number H" lol. God i cant help but laugh everytime i say it its so cute.
    On a side note rats make amazing pets. I've had several. They are extremely intelligent and sweet. I've had... 5? rats and have never been bit by any of MINE. I HAVE been bit by one of my friends because it was not taken care of properly. When a rat is shoved in its cage all day, not socialized or cuddled or handled.. yes it will bite. Because it doesn't know how to act.. just like a dog or cat would if it were mistreated. They are smart enough that you can teach them to come when you call, teach them tricks, and teach them to liter train. And they love cuddling with you. My son loves rats too ( my brother has a couple) but that is a pet for an older child who can handle a fragile animal better than a 3 yo can for sure. He's thrilled with his fish anyway.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 3:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Well we started with fish then got a water frog and now have a rat for our 4 & 2 year old. They love it. Rats generally do not bite and are actually really clean.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• wehave2 dogs and 2 cat andhad hamster, but really 6 is agreat age for a rat! They come from petshops and get vaccines, so no dseases, and the fact is people cant freak out over little things like a childs pet!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Depending on their age, I don't think a pet should be kept in their room. They might over feed it, or take it out to play and lose it. I personally was given a ahmster at the age of 8. And my kids are now 7 & 4 and I plan to get them a hamster very soon.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2011