To fellow Christians - does it make you sick to your stomach too?

I see all these questions and answers from people who don't believe in God and it hurts my heart so much and physically makes me sick to my stomach to know there's nothing I can do to change their minds. I will NEVER FORCE my beliefs on another person. I will gently give my opinion, knowing that they believe what they do because God gave us all free will and I will pray for that person that they will come to find the truth eventually. I'm also sickened by fellow Christians who do chose to force God on unbelievers in a tacky way. I know it's our job to spread the Word of God but forcing it on them is only going to push them farther from the truth. I wish we all could realize this and be more graceful in our witnessing.

bretsnag

Asked by bretsnag at 1:07 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't like to "force" Christ on others because when I was a non-believer (Athiest) I didn't like others forcing it on me. I believe that God knows when and were each person will become a believer and that is when he guides us to those people. I don't think it is our job to make a believer, it is our job to plant seeds.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 1:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I feel sad for unbelievers too. Sometimes even torn apart. Especially for family members or friends. My mother told me "just do your best by displaying (not forcing on them) how good it is to be a believer and be saved". I saw a cool plaque once. It went something like this " Live your life in such a way that those who know you but don't know God, come to know God because they knew you". I'm embarrased not to know who said that. God knows who will believe and who won't; who will be saved and who won't.Try not to stress too much because this is beyond our understanding but right to him that knows all.It is by his grace that we are pardoned.
    callico

Answer by callico at 1:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• When Jesus walked the earth, He never forced anyone to follow Him...Why should Christians be any different? Free will is just that...you get to choose what you believe...the best thing we can do is pray and live in such a mannar as to glorify our God.
    Shelbel

Answer by Shelbel at 2:36 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• "When Jesus walked the earth, He never forced anyone to follow Him...Why should Christians be any different?"

*claps* You took the words right out of my mouth...er, FINGERS! :D
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:19 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! So many Christians do not realize that they can chase people away from Christianity by pushing too hard. Faith is such a personal thing. Open discussion with close friends and family is one thing, but pressuring strangers is another.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:54 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Let Jesus shine through your actions and he'll take care of the rest :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Actually, what makes me sick to my stomach is christians who think they're better than everybody else, and who are sick to their stomach because I don't choose to blindly follow their unfounded, uneducated beliefs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I believe in God but I don't believe in religion, to me church is a building where some guy stands up and tells you your a sinner ( we all have sinned) and then expects you to give away your hard earned money, I do believe that as long as your a good person you will go to heaven, you don't need to be saved.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Ahhh, "unfounded, uneducated beliefs." Lovely.
    Anyways, yeah, it hurts. But at the same time, I know that God has His Chosen. We're to be less and less ourselves, and more and more like Christ, ya know?
    And we can never be "good" enough to get into heaven on our own, sammiesmom. Never. You don't need to go to church in order to be saved. You need to have a relationship with Christ the Savior in order to be saved.
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 9:58 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• What really makes me sick to my stomach is one of the posters here who professes to be christian but is nasty and rude in so many of her posts..and she wonder why anon posters post..pffft
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2008