How can i get my 8yr old to memorise tables?....she hates them

momdoc2011

Asked by momdoc2011 at 1:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• lol.. she probably won't memorize them all if she's not too fond of them. God knows i didn't & still don't. what's important is that she knows how to multiply properly. She'll get the basics with practice. Make her a chart and post it on the wall in her room. Play multiplication games!

Wait.. by tables, you mean times tables right? lol
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 1:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Times tables? Use visual things instead of just memorizing. If you have 8 groups and then each only have 1 M & M in it, how many M & Ms are there? 8! 8 x 1 = 8
    You can do this through all the times tables using whatever "items" you want. It can be a healthy snack, candy as I illustrated, or something non-edible as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Thanks rAbella, that's how I'm doing it but she prefers to calculate the answers which ofcourse takes forever for 8 and 9 times table....and yes I did mean times tables...:)
    momdoc2011

Comment by momdoc2011 (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Eventually they all learn them one way or another. Just keep trying.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:01 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• This is a GREAT, FREE multiplication game that my children love to play. My son learned his tables when he was 7 using this game!

http://www.bigbrainz.com/Download.html

In addition, go to a learning store and get a workbook of timed multiplication tests, ask her to do one every night. I use lakeshorelearning.com

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Sit her in a good sturdy chair, then use a long sash or something similar to tie her to the chair...

Kidding!!!

Lots of practice, but if she's not a fan, then probably in smaller amounts of time. Flashcards, small items to manipulate, and of course randomly asking her a multiplication fact will keep her on her toes. Reward her for keeping a positive attitude, even if she gets some wrong. Lots of encouragement. You could point out the times you use mutiplication through out the day so she sees being able to multiply is a useful skill to have.

Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Thanks girls, u guys r amazing! Lovely tips...I'll sure try them
    momdoc2011

Comment by momdoc2011 (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Get flash cards or make a game with the math.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 5:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• I have a friend that put flash cards all over teh house.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• SchoolHouse Rocks! I swear by those songs. I taught 3rd grade for 4 years and also 4th grade for 2 years. I use those songs and videos and THEY WORK!

You need the Multiplaction Rocks! songs and videos. Yes, they're from the 70's but the math hasn't changed.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:28 PM on Mar. 14, 2011