Dilemma

Major dilemma here. Today, my daughters brought home a stray cat. One of them is allergic to (most) cats. After having it in the house, yes, she started getting the puffy eyes:( So, long story short...we can't keep it! We also think that the couple that used to live above us might have abandoned her. She is an all black cat so it's hard to tell. Anyway, I put a sign up by our complex mailboxes saying that we found a cat and gave my number. Right now we have her on our back porch with food, water a litter box and the girls made a little tent for her. My question is...what do I do if no one calls? I can't leave her leashed up on my back porch forever. Was also talking with my neighbor and it is about $50 to take them to the humane society...OUCH!!!!!! Sounds inhumane if you ask me! Also the cat has a hurt leg and I can't afford medical bills for it. What do I do? Any ideas? I want to do what's right!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Pets

• If there is a craigslist for your area you could put it on there :( Poor kitty I hope you can figure something out soon
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 2:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Maybe you can have your girls put up some fliers giving the kitten away. You really do not have too many options.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 2:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• As to the cat itself, I agree with the previous poster - post an ad on craigslist. Ask around, any friends or family...see if anyone would be willing to adopt a new kitty. Clearly you can NOT keep that cat.

for the situation in general, I would suggest speaking with your daughters. You should advise them against picking up stray animals in the future - it's obviously not healthy to have a cat in your home, and your daughters need to understand and respect that. In addition to allergies, you never know the health conditions or diseases a stray animal may have. Assure them that you understand the desire to help poor cute helpless animals, but you have to be respectful and aware of what impact the animal will have on the whole family, and that an animal is a huge responsibility.
    Good luck with this. It's a tough situation, I hope it turns out well for everyone.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 2:43 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Call around to the differant vets. Many vets will take in animals, care for them and then find them a home. Taking the cat to the humane sociaty is not unhumane that is what they are there for. I see nothing wrong with them asking for a little money. It is not cheap to care for all the strays that enter their doors.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:21 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would un-leash it and leave water out for it but consider it a stray.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• You can call animal control and they should not charge any fee.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2011