Anyone have a much longer labour second time round? Will I?

I had twins first time round and maybe because they were premature, or something wasn't quite right in there, I had a really quick labour - waters broke in the morning, felt fine, got to hospital, after first contraction they all merged into one straight away so couldn't time them, and next thing I know I've got twins!!

The general rule of thumb is that second labours aren't quite so long, but I'm wondering if that'll be true for me, seeing as my first experience was not "typical"? Or if I should gear myself up for this one (a singleton) to come shooting out even quicker! My bump buddy had a twenty minute labour last week so that has freaked me a little.

Twinminator

Asked by Twinminator at 2:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• As a general rule, the second comes faster than the first, the third faster than the second, and so on. In your situation though, it's hard to say. I think there's a good possibility your labor might last longer - but nobody can really tell you that for sure. Every situation is different.

I would like to ask you though - you had your twins naturally? Anyone I talk to with twins has had a c-section. There's a small possibility I might be carrying twins, and the thought of c-section is making me nervous. (already!)
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 2:34 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Yes FluffyMamaBunny, mine came naturally, and because I was 9cm dilated before I even called anyone into the hospital room I was waiting in (figured it couldn't POSSIBLY be happening so fast and because I wasn't in a panic, just trying to focus and deal with it, I think that actually helped my body work better), I only had a bit of gas and air whilst pushing too.
    Nerves are your enemy, hun. If the first twin is head down (even if the second is in a bit of a funny position as mine was) there's no reason to think a c-section is 100% necessary, especially if you're otherwise healthy. (NB of course if there are complications it would be neglectful to refuse a c-s, but I'm talking about MOST cases.) Mother Nature usually knows what its doing. Good Luck! xxx
    Twinminator

Comment by Twinminator (original poster) at 3:40 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My first was 12 1/2 hours, and my second was just under 5 hours. I would say your extremely lucky if it goes that quick again!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My second labor was 37 hours and about half of that was back labor. It sounds like you are much more lucky in the labor department, good luck with your second (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2011