How to find the courage to quit your career if your work doesn't make you happy (in fact it's depressing)?

I sort of rolled into it and I just know it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life. BUT I earn good money, my family absolutely depends on my income and I'm scared to death to look like an idiot to step up and say "I'm going to stop. I can't take it anymore." It's not a nice thing to admit: Taht you don't like your work anymore. That work and private life is out of balance. That my parents payed good money for my education once. All this makes me feel weak. Like I should try harder. And the more I do, the more I feel like I'm failing.
It's a tough line to cross for me, and I'm not sure yet. Any advice?
P.S. Thought about working less hours, but I doubt it'll do the "trick". I'd still feel bad about my job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• think and decide what career would make you happy then save enough money from the career you have now to pursue the career you want. even though u may feel bad for leaving your current career, you will get satisfaction from fulfilling the one of your DREAMS!!!!!! GL
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 3:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't just up and quit but I would start looking at alternatives.  Is there something else close to your field that you could use your education for?  Your happiness is important too babe and it needs to be factored in. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Sorry to hear that. I say somethimes it's not about the outside but the inside, meaning you. Before you go through a depression you need to sit your immediate family down and address to them your feelings. You never know they might be alroght with you doing something else. Try working from home.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 2:45 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My favorite Motto. "I would much rather be a failure at something I enjoy, Than successful at something I hate". Think about it.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 3:10 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Do you have children or is it only your parents that you help out financially? Its hard to consider resignation, especially if you do not have a back up plan. I have been working for my employer going on eight years. At first, it was a wonderful job and it made me happy. Today, I am exhausted all of the time, the benefits suck and the pay does too. My husband and I thought about this long and hard and decided that we will open a foster home for disabled adults. It will bring in more income and i will have more free time with our kids. We are very excited and I am eager to quit my job. which ever direction you take. Good luck.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 3:15 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• But before taking any decision stop the guns there itself. Your family depends on your income. Your job might be boring. Continue with it & look for the alternatives... .
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 3:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It would be irresponsible to leave a job with having another. I suspect that you have many "soft skills" that will translate to another career.
    I do career and job search coaching (I never charge CafeMoms for my services), and I will be happy to help you with your job search.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• If it's any consolation, I did precisely that, though I had recently been promoted and absolutely loved my job, not to mention I carried all the benefits and was the major breadwinner in the family. It wasn't what I wanted to do anymore and I needed to shift my focus and priorities.

Do not just up and leave without a plan in place. Can you live off one income, or will your leaving still require you to find work to supplement the household income? Proper planning is key.

And please try not to feel guilty or apologize for your feelings. We women are our own toughest critics and this guilt serves no purpose. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• OH HONEY!! I was in your exact shoes around 2 years ago and I feel your pain honey! and your misery! I had an amazing job with amazing compensation and benefits, but I was so very miserable and unhappy to say the least and felt like there had to be something else out there I could do that I could be happy with!! I believe I was honestly falling into a depression. I mean I became ill with pneumonia, dehydration, in and out of hospital and I NEVER get sick!! Anyway, I would love to share with you what the Lord brought my way and I was able to QUIT my miserable JOB!!!! Send me a message if you would like to hear my journey honey! I would love to help!! I know right where you are and I am so sorry! hope this helps
    arbnmom

Answer by arbnmom at 11:20 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Start putting out feelers, get an idea about whats out there, and get ready to move when you can.
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2011