What flowers can I plant outside?

What flowers do you suggest and how do I take care of them?  I would love to line the front of my house with flowers but I am absolutely lost!  Give me everything ya got, lol.  Any advice is appreciated~

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 3:22 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Depends on whether or not you want ones that come back every year (Perennials} or ones that bloom a year them die off and have to be replaces the following year (annual). Also, where do you live? There are zones, depending on where you live and temperatures you have will determine what plants will work. Give me that info and I can give you suggestions!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 5:39 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Annuals will give you the best quick results. Where you live makes the big difference. Visit your nursery and ask lots of questions. Right now there are garden shows going on attend. Talk to your neighbors, find out what one have done good at their house. Plan it out and enjoy.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:55 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Stopping into your local nursery to ask questions is best. Tell them if the front of the house is sunny or shady. But having said that I love marigolds for a sunny location. They can be grown from seeds, or buy little ones, and always do nicely for me. And for a shady location I love impatiens. But it has to be a lot of shade and they like a lot of water. Both would have to be planted every year although marigolds do reseed sometimes. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Perennials(they come back each year) or Annuals? and what Zone are you in? I am in Zone 6(CT) so are flowers might be different but some Perennials I like are Lily's,Monkshood,Russian Sage,Geranium(not the stinky annual kind),Roses,Decorative Grasses,Helbore,
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:24 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• It really depends on your location - check with a local nursery or stop in at a home improvement store (like Lowes or Home Depot) and they can help you out.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I posted a hardiness zone map. Because of the damp soil it's best to call or ask at a local nursery. You can also Google perrenials (come up every year) good for your zone number.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I live in Muncie, IN.  I don't know what a zone is?!  One side of my house is shady, the other side is a little sunny.   I'd like ones that come back every year.  Oh and the dirt in my yard always feels almost slightly wet, if that helps any. 

MrsHouston47302

Comment by MrsHouston47302 (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2011