Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can social services PIOG

im sure this will make me sound like a bad mom but when my son was 2 cps placed him "temporarily" with his father because my boyfriend and i got busted for posession of marijuana. We didnt smoke around my son, only on wknds when he was with his dad, but anyway BF and I got clean asap and have been for 2 years. we've been randomly drug tested and taken parenting classes since it happened. my son is still with his father even though i have been fighting to get my son back, i only get him on saturdays for 6 hours. I will never stop fighting for my son to be back home with me. I know I messed up but i've done everything to fix it. I am pregnant now with my second child and i just want to know if cps can do anything about it. Like I said I've done everything I needed to do and have done nothing wrong since that one time but I cant go threw losing another child. anyone know anything about cps' being able to do anything?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Answers (9)
  • BTW my son is 4 now

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

  • I don't know the laws, but I don't think they will try to take your baby. I know people who have done way worse than you and keep having babys and have custody of them, even after having older children taken from them. As for your 4 yr old, keep fighting mama! Even if its for more visitation, that's a start. From what you've described, you should be seeing him more than 6 hrs a week and deserve to!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

  • They could take this child if they still feel that your an unfit parent. I don't see why you are not able to see your other child more.

    Answer by jessicamelia83 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

  • i am not allowed to see him more because his father has a lawyer and i do not, and where i live is not really a womans state so his father and lawyer made me out to be a drug addict and courst has been postponed 6 times in two years so im sure i would've had him more by now had they not postponed it so many times. there is really nothing i can do. I cant even petition for more visitation until march

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

  • Look up free legal aid where you live. It's need based and works on a sliding scale or could be free depending.

    Don't let them use your mistake to keep you from your son. There is nothing they can do about the new child, unless you have done something to give them a reason to take him/her.

    I have had a run-in with CPS and it's not fun. If you have gotten your stuff straight (and make sure you have before you try to do anything in court, because you know it will be used against you) then don't let him hold you son hostage!


    Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

  • cps won't take the new baby, as long as your UA's stay clean, which from what i'm hearing, will be. like you've said, the only reason you don't have your son is because your ex has a lawyer... i'm sure you're a great mom, and were even while you were smoking...

    Answer by AudlyLuvly at 1:46 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

  • It really depends on the state and cps laws in your area. Plan and simple. As for thinking you are a bad mom.... Not at all. We ALL make mistakes of some sort or another in our lives. What's most important is you've learned from it and have taken the steps to get on the right track.... Good Luck getting your son back and with your new baby as well.

    Answer by LdyWlf at 8:08 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

  • Everyone I know in that situation gets the new baby taken before they leave the hospital. Good lukc.

    Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

  • they should leave you alone but the hospital will be watching you and watching how you are caring for the baby while there and if you are not as responsible as they think you should be they will call cps

    Answer by misskitty98310 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.