Bottles for milk with rice cereal?

I'm having to put rice cereal in my expressed breastmilk in attempts to ease my 6 week old's acid reflux. Any there any bottles you would recommend to aid the flow of the milk? I've been using doctor brown's but she gets so mad because it's such hard work. I tried widening the hole but it seems to come out too fast then.

sydash11

Asked by sydash11 at 4:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• years ago, when I had my oldest, I used Gerber cross cut nipples but I dont even know if they make them any more, you can just keep opening them with a hot needle until you get the size opening she needs, good luck!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 4:48 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I haven't had a baby for awhile but i did have to buy my niece a bottle one night and i did buy that dr. browns one, but i did notice that they had different nipples for the age of the baby, maybe you should see about getting a larger one since you are feeding her cereal out of it. or maybe just try to enlarge the nipple with a needle, i remember having to do that with my son at times.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Avent makes a nipple especially for cereal" variable flow nipple"

or tommee tippee

.

sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 6:41 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i havent use them so idk how they work i just google.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 6:42 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I'm sorry you have to deal with this. My son had reflux, so I know how horrible it can be for them. I have no ideas about the nipples, but I did want to ask if you looked into whether or not you have overactive letdown. The symptoms mimic reflux, almost to a T. Also, when my son was suffering, we continued to nurse on demand, no pumping, no cereal, but he was put on a med, which I prefer as opposed to cereal. I don't know how you feel about it, but it's an idea to consider, esp if you aren't a fan of cereal for such a young baby.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Krysta- we thought maybe it was overactive letdown so I started pumping and feeding her only by bottle. The symptoms remained tgr same. We thought maybe it was my milk so we tried formula but no change there either. We go back to the doctor today where he'll likely prescribe zantac. It breaks my heart because she seems so miserable and unhappy.thank you to everyone for your responses!
    sydash11

Comment by sydash11 (original poster) at 7:47 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i found ones at giant that were for cereal i think they were platex brand for the drop ins or maybe cotten tail cant remember
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 7:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• my son was the exact same way..we had to do the ceral in the bottles and zegerid for his reflux. Try dr. browns level 2 and 3..they worked GREAT with the ceral. all of the nipples with the special cut would floooood my son, once i tried level 2's and 3's i was in heaven..they work PERFECT..good luck with your daughter reflux sstinks :( but on the birhgt side my son out grew it by 8 months
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 8:47 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Find a fast flow bottle nipple. The cross tips are better. Then if you need to widen it, do it very slowly and just a tiny bit.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Glad you're going to get meds today. Once you start them, are you going to stop the cereal bottles? Are you still nursing at all, or just pumping now? Zantac works well, I take it myself, as I suffer from reflux as well. My son was on Axid, which is the same type of med as Zantac, and it helped my son so much. He was right about the same age as your LO was.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2011