DO any of your friends act like thier kids are so much better?

if yes, give me an example.

Last night i was helping my son with his homework and he had missed the last few days of school because he was sick, and my friend tells me all the time my son always gets all A's and i will not accept anything less from them, my son does struggle at times but he is not stupid, but she always makes me feel like her kids are better then mine. Sometimes it upsets me and i want to tell her that her son is a yr old then mine and in the same grade.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 6:36 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• My best friend and I got pregnant at the same time with our first child. Her DD is only a month younger than my DS and for some reason it's like a competition for everything our children do =/ My husband gets irritated because it bothers me how she brags and brags about her DD and it makes me wonder why my DS isn't doing all the same things. Lately I've come to realize that every child is different and there is no reason for me to rush my son to do anything he's not ready for. I simply talk to her about something other than our children to avoid the whole thing.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Yes, a few of them always seem to have to outdo everyone else on stories about their kids or try to make others feel inferior. But, really 'no one can make you feel inferior without your consent' (Eleanor Roosevelt). If you don't take what they say personally or as a reflection of you, your parenting, or your child, then it takes the power of their words away. Sometimes it's easier just to let them brag or try to make themselves feel superior than to battle them. And sometimes they're just proud of their child and not really intending to sound like they're better. I'm proud of my son too, but I try not to brag. If I do mention anything, I usually also mention struggles we had or that all kids have their own schedules. He may be ahead on some things and average on others. I don't need to constantly compare him to other children. I also find it annoying when parents take too much credit for their children's accomplishments.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Many of my kids friends parents did this when they were growing up. I know my kids are great and I do not have to say it. Because if the others stop and think they know it too. What is important is that my kids know I love and support them and I do not need to compete with other parents. It is important that they know about their kids too. What I am saying is let it be. Take care of yours and compliment and be gracious to others. You do not need to prove anything to the other parents.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:45 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• You will find a few people insensitive when it comes to other kids. Ignore. Your kid is the best. Right? Rest doesn't matter.When a person starts praising her own kid, be polite. Say that you are well aware how smart the mentioned kid is. This would definitely force another person to praise your kid as well & lo your job gets done...
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 6:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I have a SIL that thinks that way and it really hurts my feelings!!!
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 7:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i used to, one of the many things i dont miss about that friendship
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I think we all act this way s parents sometimes, mainly because ou pride has the best of us!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I used to, the parent turned to be somone not worth being friends with. If this is someone you've been friends with for a long time try to ignore it. If it's worth keeping the friendship if it's not and it bothers you that much maybe you see less of this person.
    We all know are kids are great no matter what, as long as your child knows it there is no need to brag about it.
    greenmommyx2

Answer by greenmommyx2 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• well I know alot of people who act this way.But personally anyone who acts like they are "better" than anyone else is not my friend and I do not hang out with them.
    Gods_Girl1979

Answer by Gods_Girl1979 at 8:07 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My husband's friend's wife acts that way. She is so insecure because my son is smarter and taller and bigger than her son. She will tell me that a party is for adults only and i get there and there are kids. She is just a b**ch plain and simple and jealous too. Ignore the comments. I know I do and now she comes to me because I ignore her a@@ and pretend that she does not bother me and just show up with my son automatically.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 10, 2011