My son has major anger issues, what can I do?

My son seems to be angry about everything. He really seems triggered when we are doing hoework....

When we try to get him to do his homework or anything related to school he flips out and says that he thinks that we want to hurt him or kill him.. Then he says how "stupid" he is...

I'm really considering homeschooling him because I believe most of his anger is brought on by the kids at school picking on him because he stutters and he has ADHD and dyslexia. The pick on the fact that he doesn't understand everything they are talking about.

So I'm sure that most of his anger is due to people at school picking on him. What can I do to relieve some of this anger?

JenniferLynn3

Asked by JenniferLynn3 at 6:53 AM on Mar. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would get him a tutor and let a professional help, he is obviously frustrated and has low self esteem because of it.

Answer by older at 7:16 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would take him back to his Dr!!! Since he is ADHD there may be another mental issue going own!!!! Since I have mentall illnesses, anger, is a symptom "somtimes" for Bi-ploar disease. However it could be anything so I would get him into his dr asap!! Hope this helps.
    jesussaves58

Answer by jesussaves58 at 7:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would go to the Dr and get professional help in case it's due to medical problems or to rule out medical issues. If he's thinking someone is going to hurt him, there may be something going on there. I would try to find ways to build his confidence too. I think there are books out there that give tips on dealing with bullies, so some of those might help as well as talking to the school if you think they could help the situation. Also, I don't know how old your son is, but there are children's books that help them deal with anger too. We have one called Moody Cow Meditates, but there are others with similar stories.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• I would be angry too if people were picking on me for things I had no control over. How frustrating it must be to struggle with the work and have classmates being mean to you because of it. Does he have an IEP? The school should be providing him with extra help due to his learning disabilities. And his teacher shouldn't be allowing the other kids to pick on him. If he's needs aren't getting met at his school, maybe homeschooling would be a good option. Or switching him to a different classroom or a different school altogether. My son has adhd and 2 yrs. ago we put him in a private school that specializes in it. His attitude has improved tremendously and we no longer have battles over homework.
    cege

Answer by cege at 10:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My son has ODD. He has major anger problems. We notticed that he was different the first day of his life. He goes to therapy. Don't let anyone say you are a bad mom. Love him no matter what. Get him to a DR soon. The younger you catch mood disordes the better.
    my4boys310

Answer by my4boys310 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2011